- Kagan, Miller, et al. В Пути:Russian Grammar in Context. 2nd ed.
Prentice Hall, 2006.
- Accompanying Student Activity Manual
- Gasperetti, David. Reference Grammar for В Пути, 2nd ed. Prentice
- Boyle, Eloise M. and Genevra Gerhart. The Russian Context: The Culture
Behind the Language. Bloomington, IN: Slavica, 2002.
- Accompanying website
- Good Russian-English dictionary, such as Oxford
(online through Davidson library)
Attendance: You will meet three times a week with Professor
Ewington (M/W/F) and twice (Tu/Th) with your AT, Zhenya
Urazova, who joins us this year from Moscow. Attendance at all sessions
is mandatory. You are allowed three absences in the MWF sessions and two AT
absences. Additional absences will affect your final grade. If you are absent
on the day of a quiz or exam there will be no make-up. Please use your absences
wisely. If you have a true family or medical emergency, please let me know as
soon as possible
Participation: Daily participation is required and will be
evaluated on the level of preparation and participation in individual and group
activities, as well as effort made to avoid English. Remember to bring your
workbook and textbook to class each day. You will keep a personal "Word
Journal" this semester that will be checked regularly and counted toward
Classroom etiquette: Please do not chew gum or eat during
class or AT sessions. Cell phones should be turned off and kept out of sight.
Russian Table: Once a week Zhenya welcomes you at Vail Commons
for Russian Table/ Русский стол. This is an informal and fun way to practice
your Russian and meet other students involved with Russian at Davidson. Day
and time TBA.
Blackboard: Announcements about news related to the class
and "help sheet" files will be posted to Blackboard.
All audio recordings will be submitted to the Blackboard digital drop box.
Homework (Домашнее задание):
On MWF homework is due at the beginning of class and on Tuesdays and
Thursdays by 4:00 p.m. in the box on my office door (Chambers 3258).
- The detailed schedule for each week can be located by selecting the links
at the bottom of this page. Please read the assignments carefully, keeping
in mind the following abbreviations and words:
- РТ (рабочая тетрадь): student activity manual
- У (учебник): textbook
- сделайте письменно: in written form
- сделайте устно: orally
- для себя:vocabulary exercises at the end of each chapter are to be done
"for yourself," as structured preparation for unit tests.
- стр. (страница): page
- "Listening and comprehension" exercises are linked directly
from the weekly schedules to the Student Activity Manual section of the
пути website. There you will also find the accompanying texts
to those exercises (the texts are not included in the student
activity manual itself). Please note carefully whether the syllabus calls
for you to work on your own with oral drills (устно) or to submit written
answers to listening comprehension selections (письменно).
- Late work will not be accepted. Please read the syllabus carefully!
- For assignments with multiple pages, unstapled work will not be
accepted. Please purchase a small stapler and keep it in your backpack at
all times for stapling emergencies.
- Before submitting homework check:
- Are you looking at the right day? Remember that assignments listed on
Monday are to do Monday night and are due Tuesday.
- Have you completed all questions on the correct exercises?
Verify page numbers, exercise numbers, and У vs. РТ, письменно vs. устно.
- All answers should be in Russian unless otherwise specified.
- If you have written directly in the Workbook, consider whether you will
need the other side of the page for the next day’s assignment. Some students
find it easier to always copy the workbook pages for their homework or
write out answers on a separate piece of paper.
- When using notebook paper, please skip lines to allow room for comments.
- Please complete assignments in pencil.
- Include your name on all pages and pledge all work.
- You are responsible for oral homework.
Other Graded work:
- Quizzes: There will be unannounced grammar and vocabulary
quizzes throughout the semester.
- Unit Reviews: All unit tests are comprehensive, meaning
they include material not only from the most recent unit, but from preceding
units as well. In addition to grammar, translation, vocabulary and other written
exercises, tests may include dictation, oral comprehension, and reading comprehension
- Oral Reviews: You will have two graded oral conversations
this semester. You will receive detailed instructions about format and evaluation
Honor Code: All work must be pledged.
For the workbook or any other written homework you should feel free to consult
your notes, the book, dictionaries, or other grammar books that might help you.
You are encouraged to discuss problems that you don’t understand with your fellow
students (this might include study sessions for exams), but you should not
collaborate on the answers to specific assignments.
Disabilities: If you have a documented disability on record
at Davidson and would like to have a reasonable accommodation made for you in
this class, please see me as soon as possible at the beginning of the semester.
|Participation(Word journal, in class, extra credit for Russian table)
- 11-15 января. Глава 7: Русская культура:
чтобы читать по-русски. Тема 1 — Театр
- 18-22 января Глава 7: Тема 1 — Театр и
Тема 2 — Музыка
- 25-29 января.Глава 7: Тема 2 — Музыка
- 1-5 февраля.Глава 7: Тема 2 — Музыка и
тема 3: Балет
- 8-12 февраля. Глава 8:Вокруг света. Тема
1 — Вы любите путешествовать?
- 15-19 февраля. Глава 8:Тема 2 — летние
- 22-26 февраля. Глава 8:Тема 2 — летние
- 1-5 марта. Весенние каникулы
- 8-12 марта. Глава 8:Тема 3 — экологический
- 15-19 марта. Глава 8:Тема 3 — экологический
- 22-26 марта. Глава 9: Городская жизнь.
Тема 1 — В городе; Устное собеседование
- 29 марта-2 апреля. Глава 9: Городская
жизнь. Тема 1 — В городе
- 5-9 апреля. Пасха; Глава 9: Тема 2: Мы
- 12-16 апреля. Глава 9: Тема 2: Мы потерялись
- 19-23 апреля Глава 9: Тема 3— дорожное
- 26-30 апреля. Глава 9: Тема 3— дорожное
- 3-5 мая. Подготовка к экзамену, устное
собеседование, устная часть экзамена