All students who want to enroll in CHE 115: Principles of Chemistry must obtain a satisfactory score on a departmental diagnostic exam OR complete a departmental online chemistry tutorial.
You must take the diagnostic chemistry exam on Moodle.
New students need to take the online diagnostic exam prior to June 21.
For all students signing up for CHE 115 in the fall, failure to take the diagnostic before August 16 means you will be dropped from CHE 115 if you were enrolled in the course.
Instructions for Davidson Students who want to take the diagnostic:
- You must be a Davidson student with a Davidson username and password.
- Go to the course in Moodle: https://moodle.davidson.edu/course/view.php?id=7372
- If you are not already logged in, you will need to log in using Davidson username and password.
- You will be prompted to enter the enrollment key: Chemistry201801
- Read the instructions carefully, download and print the Periodic table, have some scratch paper and a calculator ready and start the 60-minute diagnostic.
- IMPORTANT! Do not start the diagnostic if you need accommodations! We must obtain notification from the Director of Academic Access and Disability Resources to provide accommodations. If a student taking the CHE 115 diagnostic exam needs to make a request for accommodations, contact Director of Academic Access and Disability Resources (AADR) Beth Bleil at email@example.com or 704-894-2129. In order to review and implement a student's request prior to the August 16 deadline, it is recommended that accommodation requests be submitted by August 1. Note that requests received later in the summer will limit the amount of time you have to take the 30-hour online tutorial, if required. Once accommodations are approved, you will be contacted with further instructions for taking the diagnostic or tutorial. Please keep in mind that accommodations are not retroactive.
Once you have completed the diagnostic, you will receive an email telling you one of three things:
- You obtained a satisfactory score on the diagnostic. You do not have to do anything else. If you would like a nice review of material before the fall semester, feel free to take the online chemistry tutorial over the summer.
- You obtained a marginal score. You do not have to do anything else, but you are strongly urged to take the online chemistry tutorial over the summer as preparation for CHE 115.
- You did not obtain a satisfactory score on the diagnostic and are required to take the online chemistry tutorial. If you are enrolling for the fall semester, the tutorial must be completed before the August 16 deadline, or you will be dropped from CHE 115.
An email will be sent with instructions on how to enroll in the chemistry tutorial once the diagnostic is complete. The tutorial is free to any Davidson student who would like to take advantage of this review of fundamental chemistry. The online chemistry tutorial will be available to students sometime in May, 2018.
Again, take the diagnostic exam far enough in advance of the August 16 deadline so that you will also have time to complete the online tutorial, which will take about 30 hours to complete.
If you still have questions direct them to Professor Durwin Striplin in the chemistry department at firstname.lastname@example.org.