Davidson College offers multiple opportunities for students to visit campus. The fall Multicultural Visit Program (MVP) opportunity is November 1-3, 2015.
Who is eligible to be a Multicultural Visit Participant (MVP)?
- The Multicultural Visit Program is designed to reach out to students from traditionally under-represented groups, including CBO-affiliated students. Due to the brevity of the visit, students living outside of the United States are not eligible for consideration. Only students who have not been on an official visit will be selected for the program.
How do I apply for the Multicultural Visit Program?
- To be considered for the visit program, you must complete the online application, and upload your current high school transcript with a senior schedule and standardized test scores. Please contact Tammy Forthofer (704-894-2187) for assistance during any step of the application process.
- Upon completion of the MVP application, an admission application file (with an application fee waiver) will be opened on your behalf.
How many students attend the program?
- Davidson typically hosts between 35-45 students during its MVP weekend.
Can a parent, guardian, or mentor accompany me to Davidson?
- Parents, guardians, and mentors are welcome to visit Davidson with you, however, no formal guest programming is provided. Guests will be expected to make their own travel arrangements and cover their expenses for the visit.
What is expected of me while I am on campus?
- While you are our guest on campus, you will be expected to participate fully in planned activities.
- As our guest, you will have significant access to our campus facilities, including an overnight residence hall. With that privilege comes the same responsibility and expectations for everyone in the Davidson community to uphold the Davidson College Honor Code (with which you will become familiar during a campus tour), and to exercise “the responsible use of freedom” as dictated by the College Code of Responsibility.
I am not within driving distance of Davidson. How will I get to campus?
- An Admission Staff Member will make flight arrangements for students living outside of a 3-hour radius from campus and will communicate travel details prior to your departure.
- Participants will travel on an e-ticket and will only need to provide airport staff with the appropriate record locator number in order to check in for the flight.
- Please remember to arrive at the airport well in advance of your flight's scheduled departure time. Most airlines recommend arriving 90 to 120 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.
How do I get to campus from the airport (and back again)?
- Upon arrival in Charlotte, there will be a Davidson staff member waiting at Door A in the baggage claim area. You will be directed to the shuttle going to Davidson.
- Return airport shuttle service to Charlotte-Douglas International Airport is provided at the conclusion of the program. A specific shuttle departure time and pick-up location will be included in your campus visit materials.
What do I do if I’m driving to campus?
- Students who live within a three-hour radius of Davidson will be expected to drive to campus. You will be reimbursed for mileage to and from campus and your home address as provided on the application form. Reimbursement checks will be distributed prior to your departure from campus.
What should I bring with me for my visit?
- We strongly encourage you to pack lightly and refrain from checking in bags at the airport. This will minimize delays and avoid the $20-$25 airline fee (for which you will be responsible, if necessary). Also, do not pack any liquids in containers exceeding 3 oz.
- Current Davidson students will provide overnight accommodations during the visit. You may sleep in a bed, on a futon, or perhaps on an air mattress. If you are driving to Davidson, please bring a sleeping bag/blanket and a small pillow. A limited amount of sleeping bags will be provided for those of you traveling by air or without personal access to a sleeping bag. All students are asked to bring a bath towel and a washcloth.
- While meals and accommodations will be provided during your visit, you are encouraged to bring a small amount of extra spending money for snacks, souvenirs, or other sundry purchases.
What should I wear during my visit?
- Davidson is a casual campus. Students wear shorts, jeans, khakis, etc. in the residence halls and to class. Please use common sense in packing, but (above all) it is important for you to be comfortable during your visit.
- Weather in North Carolina can be unpredictable. Please be sure to check the forecast to know what clothing to pack. Please wear comfortable clothing, especially walking shoes, as the campus tour is typically a 1.5-mile walk.
Where will I stay during our visit?
- You will spend two nights in a residence hall with an overnight host. Prior to the start of any Tuesday morning activities (class visits, etc.), you are expected to bring your packed luggage with you to Grey House (Admission Office) for secure storage.
What can I expect of my overnight host?
- Current Davidson students have graciously offered to provide overnight accommodations and are happy to assist you during your stay. Please keep in mind, however, that they are students first and foremost and may have a limited amount of time to spend with you. Please plan to connect with other students participating in the Multicultural Visit Program or with other current students met during your visit. Admission staff will be readily available during most of the program to help you get the most out of your time on campus.
Are meals provided during my visit?
- The Office of Admission and Financial Aid will provide a variety of organized meals as part of its Multicultural Visit Program. For those times when students are on campus on their own (with their overnight host, going to class, etc.), we will issue a CatCard to cover the cost of meals in Vail Commons, at the Davis Café, and at Union Station.
How much will it cost me to participate in the visit program?
- Davidson College pays all of the direct costs associated with your visit. You will be responsible for transportation to and from your home and preferred airport, and meals purchased at the airport (if applicable). We encourage you to bring a small amount of spending money to cover extra snacks or the purchase of souvenirs, but it is not required.
What if I am unable to attend and my airline ticket has already been purchased?
- Participants are required to sign a statement of financial responsibility prior to travel arrangements being made. If you are not able to participate in the program after airline tickets have been purchased, it will be your responsibility to reimburse the college the cost of the ticket.
Who do I contact in case of emergency while I am on campus?
- If you are in need of immediate assistance en route to campus or at any point during your stay, please contact Tammy Forthofer at (704-894-2187 or 704-310-1238). Please leave this number with someone at home, in case of emergency.
If I’m not selected for the fall MVP visit, are there other opportunities for a multicultural visit to Davidson College?
- There are multiple opportunities to come to campus throughout the admission process. Those students who have not been on an official campus visit and who are not selected for the fall program will still be eligible for later visits. In addition to the spring fly-in in early March, there are opportunities to visit throughout April in conjunction with admitted student programming (Decision Davidson I and II, as well as various Senior Visit dates). Participants for spring visits will be chosen from Admission Counselor nominations.