Indexes to 19th Century Popular Magazines & Journals
The following tools index articles in magazines and journals from this time period; they usually do not index advertisements and supplementary material.
- Print indexes
- The Literary and Historical Index to American Magazines, 1800-1850. Daniel A. Wells and Jonathan Daniel Wells. Westport, CT: 2004.
REF PS214 .W37 2004
- The Literary Index to American Magazines, 1850-1900. Comp. Daniel A. Wells. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1996.
REF PA214 .B1 W45 1996
- The Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900. Walter E. Houghton. 5 vols. Toronto: Univ. of Toronto Press, 1966-1989.
REF AI3 .W45
Indexes the prose contents of 45 Victorian periodicals.
- Online indexes and databases
- 19th-Century Masterfile
Indexes articles in 479 British and American periodicals published in the nineteenth century.
Note: The print version of Poole's Index to Periodical Literature (1802-1906), which is part of 19th-Century Masterfile, is available in the Reference Index Area at call number R 050 P82.
- Periodicals Index Online
(c. 1665-1995) Indexes journal and magazine articles as well as book reviews in a broad array of humanities, social sciences, and science subjects.
- Truncation: use an asterisk *
- Phrase searching: automatic
- Readers' Guide Abstracts
(1890 to present) Indexes articles in popular periodicals; also includes citations to book and film reviews.
- Truncation: unnecessary when using "All - Smart Search"; otherwise, use an asterisk *
- Phrase searching: use double quotation marks ""
- Wildcard: do not use with "All - Smart Search"; otherwise, use a question mark ?
209 Ridge Rd.