Fall 2009 -
Questions? Please contact Sara Swanson (704.894.2157)
Use library catalogs to find books, videos, government documents, journals, magazines, and newspapers. The Davidson College Library Catalog contains information about materials owned by Davidson. WorldCat lists materials held in libraries around the world. If Davidson does not have a copy of what you need, use Interlibrary Loan to request it.
When searching for books and other materials in a catalog, try searching by keyword, author, or title. You may also search by Library of Congress subject headings. To locate appropriate subject headings, do a keyword search and then browse records. Helpful subject headings include:
- Discrimination in sports
- Gay athletes
- Gays and sports
- Feminism and sports
- Homophobia in sports
- Masculinity in sports
- Racism in sports - History
- Racism in sports - United States
- Sex discrimination against women - United States
- Sex discrimination in sports
- Sex discrimination in sports - Law and legislation
- Sex discrimination in sports - United States
- Sex role
- Sports - Moral and ethical aspects
- Sports - Sex differences
- Sports - Social aspects
- Sports - Social aspects - United States
- Sports for children
- Sports for children - Pyschological aspects
- Sports for women
- Sports for women - Law and legislation
- Women athletes
- Women athletes - Legal status, laws, etc.
For a list of helpful reference materials held by the Davidson College Library, click here.
Finding Journals and Articles
To find journals owned by the library, go to the Library Catalog, do a subject keyword search for your topic (sports, for instance), and limit your search by format to newspapers and periodicals. Clicking on the Periodicals link in the red bar on the library catalog search page will also allow you to browse journals by subject category. Some helpful journals include:
- Sociology of Sport
- Journal of Sport and Social Issues
- International Review for the Sociology of Sport
Use the Library’s online indexes and databases to find articles from newspapers, magazines, and scholarly journals. Depending on your research interest, you may wish to search in general databases or discipline-specific ones. Here are some suggested databases:
- Academic Search Premier
(1975 to present) Indexes popular and scholarly articles in a broad range of subject areas; also includes citations to book reviews and citations to articles several national newspapers.
- OmniFile Full Text Mega
(1982 to present) Indexes articles from over 3,000 scholarly and popular periodicals in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences; also includes the full text of selected articles from over 1,650 of these periodicals.
- ASSIA: Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts
(1987 to present) Indexes articles on topics related to health, economics, education, psychology, race relations, social services, and sociology. International in scope.
- Contemporary Women's Issues
(1992 to present) Provides full text articles from over 130 periodicals, as well as texts of newsletters, reports, pamphlets, fact sheets, and guides on a whide range of gender-related issues.
- Social Services Abstracts
(1980 to present) Covers the fields of social work and human services, including social welfare, social policy, and community development. Includes citations and abstracts for articles in over 1,400 periodicals; also indexes dissertations and book reviews.
- Sociological Abstracts
(1963 to present) Provides indexing and abstracting for articles in 1,500 journals and serial publications in the field of sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. Also provides coverage of reviews, monographs, and conference reports in these areas.
- Physical Education Index
(1970 to present) Indexes articles in scholarly journals, popular magazines, and trade journals; also includes citations to reports, conference proceedings, and patents. Provides broad coverage of physical education and sports, including sports medicine, sports sociology, sports psychology, training, coaching, and kinesiology. Also covers dance.
- Annual Reviews
(1932 to present) Contains the full text of review and overview articles on important topics in the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences. Includes the Annual Review of Sociology.
- Essay and General Literature Index
(1900 to present) Indexes essays published in books and edited collections. Covers the fields of art, economics, education, history, law, linguistics, literature, music, philosophy, political science, and religion, among others. Particularly strong in the humanities and social sciences.
A searchable archive of the back issues of major scholarly journals.
- LexisNexis Academic
(c. 1980 to present) Provides the full text of articles from local, national, and international newspapers, magazines, and trade journals as well as newswires, business information, patents, legal documents, and transcripts of radio and television broadcasts.
- Periodicals Index Online
(1665 to 1995) Indexes articles from humanities and social sciences periodicals from their first issues to 1995. Particularly useful for locating references to articles from the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. International in scope.
- Project Muse
(c. mid-1990s to present) A searchable collection of full-text articles from journals published by university and scholarly presses.
(1894 to present) Contains the full text of 59 peer-reviewed journals published by the American Psychological Association (APA), Canandian Psychological Association, and Hogrefe Publishing Group. Most APA journals are available from voume 1, issue 1.
(1887 to present) Indexes journal articles, book chapters, books, technical reports, and doctoral dissertations in psychology and related disciplines.
- Readers' Guide Abstracts & Readers' Guide Index Retrospective
(1890 to present) Indexes articles in over 300 popular magazines published in the United States. Covers a wide variety of subjects, including art, business, education, food, foreign affairs, political science, religion, science, sports, and health and nutrition. Also indexes book and film reviews.
- Roper Center for Public Opinion
(c. 1935 to present) A collection of U.S. public opinion data. Includes:
- iPOLL, a database of 500,000 questions and answers from surveys conducted by over 150 commercial and media survey organizations, including the Gallup Organization, Harris Interactive, Pew Research Associates, and more.
- RoperExpress, a collection of data sets for bivariate and multivariate analyses
- Social Sciences Abstracts Full Text & Social Sciences Index Retrospective
(1907 to present) Indexes articles in over 500 English-language periodicals in the fields of anthropology, communication, corrections, economics, environmental studies, ethics, gender studies, geography, international relations, law, political science, psychology, sociology, and related subjects. Includes the full text of selected articles from 1995 to the present.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
(Volumes for the years 1995 to present) Provides the full text of this important title, which includes economic and social statistics on the United States. The Statistical Abstracts of the United States is particularly useful as a guide to statistical data generated and published by U.S. Government agencies and non-governmental organizations. Use the index to locate relevant data in each volume.
- Web of Knowledge
(c. 1900 to present) A multidisciplinary resource that provides citations to articles in over 10,000 journals in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences.
Finding the Full-Text Copy of an Article
If you’ve found a citation in an online index or database:
Many of our indexes and databases contain full-text copies of the articles they index. Look first for a link to the full-text (either in HTML or PDF).
If the database does not contain a link to the full-text, look for the gray Search for Article button in the online citation. This button will lead you to the Davidson Library Catalog, which will display the holdings for the journal. Using your citation information, check to see if the library owns the appropriate journal and volume number. If it does not, you can request it from Interlibrary Loan.
If you found the citation somewhere else:
Go to the Davidson Library Catalog. Look for the red periodicals button on the right side of the page. Click on that button and enter the first few words of the journal title in the search box. Then, do a Title beginning with search. The library’s holdings for the journal will appear on the page. Using your citation information, check to see if the library owns (in print or electronic form) the volume you need. If the library does not own it, you can request the article from Interlibrary Loan.
To find reference resources held in the Davidson College Library, enter the appropriate keywords in the library catalog and limit Material Type to Reference Resources. You may also try the Reference Universe database to see which reference works contain information on your topic.
- American Women in Sport, 1887-1987: A 100-Year Chronology. Comp. Ruth M. Sparhawk. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1989.
Reference R 796 A512
- Dictionary of Race, Ethnicity, and Culture. Ed. Guido Bolaffi. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2003.
Reference R 305.8 D554
- Education and Sociology: An Encyclopedia. Ed. David L. Levinson. New York: RoutledgeFalmer, 2002.
Reference R 306.43 E24
- Encyclopedia of African American Society. Ed. Gerald D. Jaynes. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2005.
- Encyclopedia of American Social Movements. Ed. Immanuel Ness. 4 vols. Armonk, NY: Sharpe Reference, 2004.
Reference R 303.484 E56
- Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society. Ed. Paula S. Fass. 3 vols. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2004.
Reference R 305.23 E56
- Encyclopedia of Criminology and Deviant Behavior. Ed. Clifton D. Bryant. 4 vols. Philadelphia, PA: Brunner-Routledge, 2001.
Reference R 364 E56
- Encyclopedia of Education. Ed. James W. Guthrie. 2nd ed. New York: Macmillan Reference, 2003.
- Encyclopedia of Ethics. Eds. Lawrence C. Becker and Charlotte B. Becker. 2nd ed. 3 vols. New York: Routledge, 2001.
Reference R 170.3 E56 2001
- Encyclopedia of International Sports Studies. Eds. Roger Bartlett, Chris Gratton, and Christer Rolf. London: Routledge, 2006.
Reference R 796.03 E561
- Encyclopedia of Leadership. Eds. George R. Goethals, Georgia J. Sorenson, and James MacGregor Burns. 4 vols. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2004.
- Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered History in America. Ed. Marc Stein. 3 vols. New York: Thomson Learning, 2004.
Reference R 306.76 E56
- Encylopedia of North American Sports History. Ralph Hickok. New York: Facts on File, 2002.
Reference R 796.09 H629e
- Encyclopedia of Race and Racism. Ed. John Hartwell Moore. Detroit, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2008.
- Encyclopedia of Recreation and Leisure in America. Ed. Gary S. Cross. 2 vols. Woodbridge, CT: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2004.
Reference R 306.48 E56
- Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender: Culture, Society, History. Ed. Fedwa Malti-Douglas. Detroit, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2007.
- Encyclopedia of Title IX and Sports. Nicole Mitchell and Lisa A. Ennis. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2007.
Reference R 306.48 M682e
- Encyclopedia of the United States in the Twentieth Century. Ed. Stanley Kutler. 5 vols. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1996.
Reference R 973.03 E562
- Encyclopedia of Women and Gender: Sex Similarities and Differences and the Impact of Society on Gender. Ed. Judith Worell. 2 vols. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2001.
Reference R 305.4 E56
- Encyclopedia of Women's History in America. Kathryn Cullen-DuPont. 2nd ed. New York: Facts on File, 2000.
- Encyclopedia of World Sport: From Ancient Times to the Present. Eds. David Levinson and Karen Christensen. 3 vols. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 1996.
Reference R 796.03 E56
- Girlhood in America: An Encyclopedia.Ed. Miriam Forman-Brunell. 2 vols. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2001.
Reference R 305.23 G525
- Higher Education in the United States: An Encyclopedia. Eds. James J.F. Forest and Kevin Kinser. 2 vols. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2002.
Reference R 378.73 H638
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences. Ed. David L. Sills. 17 vols. New York: Macmillan, 1968.
- International Encyclopedia of Women and Sports. New York: Macmillan Reference, 2001.
Reference R 796 I61
- Lesbian Histories and Cultures: An Encyclopedia. Ed. Bonnie Zimmerman. New York: Garland Publishing, 2000.
- Men and Masculinities: A Social, Cultural, and Historical Encyclopedia. Eds. Michael Kimmel and Amy Aronson. 2 vols. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2004.
- Native America in the Twentieth Century: An Encyclopedia. Ed. Mary B. Davis. New York: Garland Publishing, 1994.
Reference R 970.4 N278
- Professional Sports Statistics: A North American Team-by-Team and Major Non-Team Events, Year-by-Year Reference, 1876-1996. K. Michael Gaschnitz. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 1997.
Reference R 796.02 G246p
- Racial and Ethnic Relations in America. Ed. Carl L. Bankston III. 3 vols. Pasadena, CA: Salem Press, 2000.
Reference R 305.8 R121
- Reader's Guide to Lesbian and Gay Studies. Ed. Timothy F. Murphy. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2000.
Reference R 305.9 R286
- A Reference Guide to Latin American History. Eds. James D. Henderson, Helen Delpar, and Maurice P. Brungardt. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2000.
Reference R 980 R332
- Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women: Global Women's Issues and Knowledge. Eds. Cheris Kramarae and Dale Spender. 4 vols. New York: Routledge, 2000.
- Sport Bibliography. I. Draayer. Ottawa: Sport Information Resource Centre, 1981-
Reference R 016.796 S764
- Sports, Excercise, and Fitness: A Guide to Reference and Information Sources. Mary Beth Allen. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2005.
Reference R 016.796 A427s
- West's Encyclopedia of American Law. Eds. Jeffrey Lehman and Shirelle Phelps. 2nd ed. Detroit: Thomson/Gale, 2004.
- Women in Higher Education: An Encyclopedia. Eds. Ana M. Martinez Aleman and Kristen A. Renn. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2002
Reference R 378.1 W872