Mathematical Art: the art of raytracing
by Tim Chartier
This page will introduce you to the world of raytracing. Soon, we will be using the geometry of 3 space to create eye-catching images.
Patience is a virtue. So, please wait for instruction to download the files listed below.
In order to have a running copy of POV, visit
(Mac) to download the current freeware copy of this code.
You will download the files in the following order:
- Your first raytraced image!
- A scene ready for experimentation with textures.
- Stepping into shapes in POV
- Using our shapes to make a lamp
- Surface of revolution code
- some advanced POV commands
Animating in POV
set on spheres as seen at the bottom of this page
at top of this web page (change the text to say what you would like)
- the constructive solid geometry example given in the lecture
You may wish to view a
of available colors.
You may also want to know what
Finally for some inspiration, you may want to visit
The Internet Raytracing Competition
website for more some amazing stills and animations.