Your success in landing a job, internship, or job shadowing experience begins with a strong résumé and interview practice with a professional. In order to have full access to WildcatLink and apply to jobs, we require students to complete a résumé review and a mock interview in the Davidson Career Adivsor Network (DCAN) system to become employer ready.
When Will You Complete the Process?
- Students wishing to apply to positions in WildcatLink need to complete résumé approvals and mock interviews twice during their time at Davidson. The first time is as a first-year or sophomore, and then again as a junior or senior.
- Sophomores and seniors who completed these steps the previous year will not need to go through the process again during their current year. (Seniors and sophomores who had their résumés approved in 2014-15 will not need to complete the mock interview required in 2015-16.)
Step 1: Résumé Approval
- Review the Center for Career Development Résumé Writing Guide, and use our templates to create or update your own résumé.
- Visit the Center during the regular walk-in hours of 10 a.m.-noon, Monday through Thursday or 1:30-3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or schedule an appointment with a career adviser for approval of résumés.
- If you are currently studying abroad or need approval during fall, winter, spring or summer breaks, you can submit a résumé or CV to the Center for Career Development at firstname.lastname@example.org for an adviser to review.
Résumé approval will provide you with the initial ability to apply to positions in WildcatLink. You will then have 30 days to complete the mock interview step below. Failure to complete the mock interview step within 30 days will result in a lock on your account and will freeze your ability to apply to future positions in WildcatLink until this step is completed.
Step 2: Conduct a Mock Interview
- Register for DCAN
- Once registered, log-in to your DCAN account and click "Mock Interview" in the "Services" section. Select a career adviser for your mock interview who matches your career interests. There are over 800 Davidson alumni and parents listed as career advisers in DCAN and have offered to help students prepare for their careers. We recommend you also use DCAN career advisers when seeking advice on career paths or for additional feedback on your résumé.
- Contact the career adviser through the DCAN system, upload your résumé with a personal message explaining that you are interested in scheduling a mock interview, and in your message ask the career adviser to include the following interview questions in the mock interview:
- Walk me through your résumé
- Talk me through your decision to choose Davidson and how you selected your major
- What classes have come easiest to you and which have been the most challenging? Why?
- Tell me about a time that you had to demonstrate leadership skills in a challenging situation
- Walk me through a favorite or class project that made an impact on you.
- Was a team involved? If so, what was your role? What was the most challenging part of this project?
- What were the results?
- What feedback/grade did you receive and why?
- Tell me how you've structured your job/internship search.
- What types of roles are most interesting and why?
- What types of companies and cultures are most interesting and why?
- What is the most important thing to you in your job search (i.e. location, pay, culture, industry, type of role, etc.)
If you are currently studying abroad, you must still complete the mock interview if you have access to a phone. Contact the Center for Career Development at email@example.com if this is a problem.
Review the Center for Career Development Interview Preparation Guide and other interview preparation resources before your mock interview.
Your completion of both steps of this process will be tracked through WildcatLink and DCAN. The Center for Career Development will send you a confirmation email after you have completed the process.