Established by the Porter Family in memory of Juliana Tazewell Porter '12, The Juliana Tazewell Porter Memorial Internship Fund has been endowed to assist outstanding Davidson students, with priority given to scholar-athletes, pursuing summer internships in medical or other healthcare-related fields. The Juliana Tazewell Porter Memorial Fund, provided through the Center for Career Development, offers grants up to $5,000 each summer.
- You must have confirmed enrollment for the fall term immediately following the summer internship.
- You must be in good standing with the college.
- You must receive less than $2,500 in internship wages or from other funding resources.
The following students will be given priority:
- Scholar-athletes, preferably those participating in D1 sports.
- Students with established success in both academics and extra-curricular activities.
- Upperclassmen (specifically rising seniors), particularly those who have not participated in a previous professional development experience.
- Students who have not received an internship grant previously through the Center for Career Development.
- Financial need; however, this Internship Fund is not limited to those students receiving or qualifying for financial aid or assistance.
Internships must be in the medical or healthcare fields. Additional eligibility requirements:
- They must be unpaid or low-paying opportunities (paying less than the equivalent of $2,500 for the summer).
- They must offer students the ability to complete 200 hours during the summer, prior to the start of the next academic term (average 20 hours per week over 10 weeks).
The following opportunities will be given priority:
- Positions that provide a full-time experience for the duration of the summer.
- Opportunities where an alumnus/a, parent or friend will serve as a mentor to the intern.
How to Apply
- Find an internship. Apply for internships that meet the requirements outlined above. The Center for Career Development can help guide you through an internship search. Once you are offered the internship or are in the interview process, you may apply for the grant.
- Apply for the grant. Submit the common application, résumé, prospective budget and internship description. You may wish to have a career adviser review your materials during walk-in hours (Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.) to make sure that they are in the best possible shape before submitting them.
Two information sessions will be offered during Common Hour (11:05 a.m.-12:05 p.m.).
- Tuesday, Feb. 27 - register (login required)
- Thursday, March 15 - register (login required)
Application deadlines and award notifications/distributions are scheduled as follows.
- March 1 - Applications available
- April 1 - Applications due
- April 20 - Award recipients notified
- Mid May - Awards distributed
EXPECTATIONS OF GRANT RECIPIENTS
If selected for a grant, recipients agree to:
- Submit a Grant Acceptance Form prior to the receipt of funds.
- Refund Davidson College for funds not used for specified experiences or in excess of the prospective budget (the Center for Career Development staff retains the authority to determine the sum of such a reimbursement).
- Secure a performance evaluation from internship site supervisor.
- Complete a written survey at the completion of the internship.
- Write thank you letters to assigned donors, sharing the impact of the experience.
Acceptance of a Juliana Tazewell Porter Memorial Fund Grant is, in turn, acceptance of the Davidson Honor Code. If any infractions are suspected, the student risks forfeiture of part or all of the award, and Honor Code charges.