Homestay Information for Students
Students participating in shadowing opportunities that require an overnight stay can request to be connected with alumni and parents who have volunteered to offer short-term homestays. Students interested should email their request to assistant director for Alumni & Parent Engagement Sarah Williams '11 at email@example.com.
Please note that this effort simply provides information to current Davidson students about Davidson alumni and parents who have expressed interest in serving as a homestay host. Davidson makes no representations or guarantees regarding the student participants or the host families, including but not limited to the quality of the relationship between the Davidson student and host family. Davidson does not perform background checks on either the student participants or the host families and is not responsible for any injuries, damages or losses that occur as a result of a homestay. Students and host families should always exercise caution before making final arrangements. Please make sure to set up a phone call to discuss household rules, living preferences, timelines, etc. to determine the suitability of the arrangement.
Expectations and Guidelines
The alumni and parents on the homestay list have agreed to receive email requests for short-term housing (1-3 days) from students who are participating in the Davidson Job Shadowing Externship Program.
- You may only ask alumni and parents for housing the night(s) prior to and following the days when you are completing an official job shadowing experience through the Davidson program. If you are requesting the list due to another career-related opportunity, you will need to first present your specific request to the Center for Career Development for consideration.
- Homestay hosts are not expected to provide any transportation for you to or from your job shadowing site, the airport, or their home. Do not assume that they are willing to do so unless they specifically volunteer.
- Homestay hosts are not expected to provide you with any meals during your stay, although some may volunteer to do so.
Reaching out to alumni or parents on the list provided:
- Do not email multiple alumni and parents at once requesting lodging for the same time period. Try one at a time, and if you do not receive a response within 24 hours, try another.
- In your initial email, introduce yourself (name, class year, perhaps where you are originally from) and state that you are participating in the Davidson College Job Shadowing Externship Program over the spring and summer. Mention the organization(s) where you are shadowing and the dates that you are seeking lodging (be as exact as possible).
- Inform the potential host that you would be happy to talk on the phone to discuss the possible homestay. You will then have the opportunity to discuss details of the arrangement, including arrival and departure times, and answer any questions that they might have.
- Before confirming the arrangement, share any information that might be relevant to your stay with your host, including allergies.
If you successfully locate lodging by using the list:
- Send an email to Sarah Williams '11 at firstname.lastname@example.org with information on who you will be staying with and the dates. Use the subject line “Alumni/Parent Homestay Confirmation.”
- Be polite, courteous and thoughtful throughout the duration of your stay. Remember that you provide your host with a connection to Davidson. Feel free to update your host on college life as you know it today!
- Send your host a thank you note by email or snail mail within one week of your stay.