The OrthoCarolina Foundation seeks to support educational programs that improve the quality of health care at multiple levels. That is why we currently support several ongoing educational programs: an international training fellowship, orthopedic nurse certification, an allied health scholarship, an orthopedic sports trainer education program as well as numerous community health and education initiatives. While the initial projects have been related to musculoskeletal care, the Foundation invites innovative proposals from all areas of health care education that improve the quality of health in our community and beyond.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) and other organizations have begun to set a new direction in healthcare. Known as the Triple Aim, the principle seeks to modify the existing health care system to address 1) improvements in patient experience, 2) improvements in population health, and 3) lower per capita cost of health care in the United States. As an organization that seeks to fulfill that goal, OrthoCarolina is helping to forge a new type of health care delivery model.
As part of this endeavor, one Impact Fellow will participate in several initiatives within OrthoCarolina's Value Based Services (VBS) Department.
- Research existing literature and OrthoCarolina data on patient preferences and needs
- Assist in creating a robust patient care environment where we deliver a concierge mentality to ensure satisfaction with care, thereby increasing compliance with medical regimens
- Assist in the creation of educational materials for patients, physicians, and staff
- Assist in the creation of decision support tools for patients and families.
- Work directly under the guidance of the Vice President, Value Based Services to develop, implement, and assess the impact of projects through the Patient and Family Centered Care Council (PFCC). The Fellow will be expected to have the organizational skills, drive, and acumen to design, implement, and assess a project of his/her own with the support of the Value Based Services team and the PFCC
The Impact Fellow will be immersed in the day-to-day operations of the innovative VBS Department, including
- Significant exposure to healthcare contracting
- Formal and informal project planning and execution
- Collaborative executive and operational work teams
- Executive-level healthcare working environment
- Inner workings of a multi-million dollar healthcare company's infrastructure, strategy, and growth in a new, innovative, and evolving area of healthcare.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Comfortable in a clinical setting
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Effective leadership and problem solving skills
- Outstanding project planning and implementation skills
- Ability to process information and shift thinking and resources as required
- Superior relationship-building skills with the ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, health care workers and patients
- Work independently and is an effective and efficient team member
- Dynamic and flexible
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong knowledge and application skills in the functional use of Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Word
- Bachelor degree in health care related field such as sociology, psychology, pre-med
- Experience in a health care environment such as a physician clinic, hospital or other applicable program is preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications including, at minimum, a working knowledge of Excel is required.