General Questions About the Individual
- What is your background, and how did you reach your current position?
- What are some of the qualifications that make you successful in your position?
- What attracted you to your field?
State of the Industry or Field
- What are some of the key trends/issues in this industry/field?
- What developments on the horizon could affect this industry's future?
- How have changes within the last 5 years affected this industry/company?
- Why do people leave this field or company?
- Who are your company's major competitors and how does your company fare?
Skills & Experience
- What qualifications do you seek in a new hire?
- Which of my skills are strong compared to other job hunters in this field?
- What do you think of the experience I've had so far? For what types of positions would it qualify me?
- What companies might be interested in hiring someone with my background?
- Considering all the people you've met in your field/industry, what personal attributes are essential for success?
Nature of the Work
- What parts of your job do you find most challenging?
- What surprised you most about this field?
- Would it be possible for me to shadow someone on the job for a day?
- Where would you suggest I look for current information on salaries, employers, jobs and industry issues?
- What websites or news sources have you found valuable?
- Is there anything else you think I need to know or investigate?
- What would you recommend to me in my job search?
- Who else would you suggest I speak with? (Essential Question)
Other Sample Questions