There may be instances in which it is in a student's best interest to spend some time away from the college. Accordingly, students may pursue taking a personal leave from Davidson for medical or other needs. Students should be advised that a personal leave of three (3) or more consecutive semesters may result in a withdrawal from the college. Personal leaves are approved by the Dean of Students office, and a student must communicate with one of the deans before departing. Below you will find a list of the basic logistical steps for going on a personal leave and returning to the college.
IN ORDER TO TAKE A PERSONAL LEAVE
- Contact the Dean of Students office to communicate with a dean about your needs.
- Submit the brief Leave Application form (login required) or fill this out with your dean during your meeting.
- Provide the dean with up-to-date contact information to stay in touch with you during your leave.
- Meet with your hall counselor, RA, or other college staff member to check out of your room and turn in your room key before departing the campus. Please note that you will need to take all of your personal belongings with you.
- Going on personal leave may affect your financial aid package. We recommend that you contact the Office of Admission and Financial Aid to discuss financial considerations, if applicable.
- Going on personal leave may affect your visa status if you are an international student. We recommend that you contact International Student Services to discuss this consideration, if applicable.
IN ORDER TO RETURN TO CAMPUS
- Pre-register for classes for the semester that you anticipate returning to campus. You will need to watch your Davidson email for a message about your WebTree Pin and go through the regular class registration process.
- Select a student to serve as a proxy for you during the Residence Life housing lottery, and/or communicate with Debby Young about your housing request.
- Follow regular communication and standard deadlines from the college about tuition payment, submission of financial aid documents, etc.
- You will maintain access to your Davidson email address while you are on leave from the college, and we strongly encourage that you check this email from time to time. Offices like Business Services and Residence Life will continue to email you about important deadlines at this email address.
- Dean Taylor in the Dean of Students office coordinates the personal leave process, and will reach out to you during your time away from the college. Please feel free to direct questions or concerns to her at any time (704-894-2225 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you need to extend your personal leave beyond one semester, we encourage you to communicate with your faculty adviser and/or the Registrar's Office to establish a plan for completing the academic requirements for graduation.