Davidson College's campus consists of many historic and visually aesthetic settings. In addition, the public has unimpeded access to the campus grounds. Thus, it may be considered as a site for commercial photography sets.
This policy informs the public of Davidson College's policy on the use of the campus by non-college commercial photographers.
Commercial photography may be accommodated only in limited circumstances when scheduled by an appropriate college employee.
The Director of College Communications and Manager of Guest Services shall oversee this policy and review it at least once every two years. Changes to this policy shall be made in accordance with the college's Policy on Policies.
All commercial photography requests shall be first reviewed by College Communications to protect college landmarks from being used inappropriately. Following approval from College Communications, the standard selection criteria for assessing Non-College Groups' requests shall be followed.
Commercial photography sessions such as wedding portraits (or any other personal portrait or still life photography) will be accommodated at no charge for the following:
These requests must be scheduled through the Guest Services Office, and the photographer and subject/s must complete Hold Harmless Agreements prior to the shoot. The Guest Services Manager shall identify locations on campus for these photography sessions that do not interfere inappropriately with the life of the college.
Unscheduled portrait and still life photography of a commercial nature is not allowed on the campus. Campus Police will ask photographers without a scheduled appointment to leave campus. If an unscheduled commercial portrait sitting is in progress, the subject would otherwise be approved, and there is no competing campus activity, Campus Police may issue a warning but should not disrupt the shoot. If the session is competing with a campus event, it should stop immediately and be rescheduled.
Commercial photography requests of a business nature will be considered according to the policy governing Non-College Activity.
Last Reviewed: Summer 2010
The Residence Life Office (RLO) works to establish residential settings that are safe, secure and comfortable. RLO seeks to promote the establishment of communities where individuals are respected and grow through healthy interactions with one another.
Akers Residence Hall: Located on the North side of campus, across from Patterson Court, Akers has 24 double rooms and five singles on two floors. It has a lounge on the first floor as well as laundry facilities. Built in 1984, Akers is named for John McCorkle Akers '28.
Belk Residence Hall: The largest residence hall located in the center of campus, Belk has 142 doubles, 10 singles and a suite for a residence life staffer and each floor has a public lounge. In the basement of Belk on west side is the entrance to offices for Residence Life and Auxiliary Services. On the east side basement level, across from the laundry is a computer lab. Dedicated in 1955, the building is named for William Henry Belk, who joined the Board of Trustees in 1929 and was the Senior Trustee at the time of his death in 1952. All five of his sons are alumni.
Cannon Residence Hall: Located within steps of Chambers Building, Cannon has 52 doubles and eight singles on four floors and a basement. A public lounge is found on each floor and a kitchen for student use is located in the basement. Built in 1923 as West Dormitory, it was renovated in 1956-1957 and renamed for J. Archie Cannon, a member of the Davidson College Board of Trustees.
Duke Residence Hall: Duke Residence Hall has bed space for 100 students including double rooms, suites, and singles. The high tech, environmentally friendly building includes multiple balconies and rooms designed to improve acoustics, lighting and energy efficiency. The Dean Rusk International Studies program is housed on the first floor of the building with an atrium, offices, meeting rooms and kitchen. Built in 1939 and renovated in 2008, the building is named for James B. Duke, founder of The Duke Endowment. Its location adjacent to the Knobloch Campus Center makes it a popular residential choice. In 2008, the building was LEED certified by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Irwin Residence Hall: Located on the North side of campus, across from Patterson Court, Irwin has 21 double rooms and five singles on two floors. It has a lounge on the first floor as well as laundry facilities. Irwin Hall was built in 1980 and named for Mary Irwin Belk, the mother of five Davidson alumni and herself a student at Davidson College for one summer session. The wife of William Henry Belk, a long-time member of the Board of Trustees, Belk was of constant inspiration and great assistance to him through the years, and like her husband was a close friend of the college.
Knox Residence Hall: Located on the North side of campus, across from Patterson Court, Knox has 24 double rooms and six singles on two floors. It has a lounge on the first floor as well as laundry facilities. Knox was built in 1980 and named for Peter S. Knox '32.
Little Residence Hall: Located on the west end of Dormitory Drive, Little has 42 double rooms on four floors, each with a public lounge. Little was built in 1956 and named for philanthropist Edward H. Little, president and chairman of the board of Colgate-Palmolive Company, a leader in the development of the college's Board of Visitors and brother to Rev. Charles H. Little, Class of 1896.
Richardson Residence Hall: Located next to Vail Commons, Richardson has 71 double rooms on four floors and a basement. Each floor has a lounge area. Built in 1960, the hall is named for Lunsford Richardson, Class of 1875, and his sons, Lunsford Richardson, Jr. '14 and Henry Smith Richardson '06.
Sentelle Residence Hall: Located on Dormitory Drive between Duke and Cannon, Sentelle has 52 doubles and eight singles on four floors and a basement. Public lounges are located on the first, second, third and fourth floors and a laundry is available in the basement. Built in 1922 it was renovated in 1971. It is named for Mark Edgar Sentelle, Class of 1894, professor of religion from 1906-1944 and the first dean of students, serving from 1920 to 1941.
Tomlinson Residence Hall: The newest residence hall at Davidson, Tomlinson has 16 suites and 64 single rooms to house approximately 128 students. With an elevator, laundry, kitchen, and lounges, the facility is a popular student housing choice. In the basement of Tomlinson Hall with access on the north side of the building is the Davidson College Public Safety Office and a conference room. Built in 2000, the residence hall is named for Dottie and Nelson Tomlinson '51.
Watts Residence Hall: Located on Dormitory Drive between Little and Cannon, Watts has 38 doubles and eight singles on four floors. Each floor has a public lounge and a laundry is available in the basement. The original Watts Dormitory was built in 1906 and burned in 1923. Construction was begun immediately on a new building to house twice as many students. It is named for George W. Watts, a member of the Davidson College Board of Trustees from 1894 to 1921.
Residence Halls are located along Dormitory Row and Patterson Court Circle. Visitor Parking is located in Baker Sports Complex, accessible from Concord Road.