As a resident of the college community, you must abide by all rules and regulations outlined in the Residence Life Policies and Procedures (PDF). Be sure to familiarize yourself with proper checkout procedures before leaving for winter and summer breaks, as outlined below.
First-year students may begin moving their belongings into their rooms on the evening of Wednesday, August 20, and may officially check-in Thursday, August 21 beginning at 8:30 a.m. Housing opens for upper-class students Saturday, August 23 at 8:30 a.m.
You will receive your Cat Card (student ID) and room key, as well as a Room Condition Report. Any damages or missing items should be noted in the report before you sign it to prevent a charge at checkout. You also will need to sign the report before checkout at the end of the year, after a walk-through with a Residence Life staff member.
All residential facilities close for winter break at noon on Friday, December 19, without exception. Whether you will be returning to the same room, switching rooms, or leaving campus for the spring, before you leave for break, you must follow certain procedures.
If you will return to your same room for spring semester, before leaving you must:
- Set room thermostat to 60 degrees and the fan to low
- Empty all trash and take out all recycling
- Unplug all appliances, except refrigerator
- Empty and clean the refrigerator
- Remove all holiday decorations from the windows
- Close and lock room windows and raise the blinds halfway
- Turn off all lights
- Close and lock room door
If you will be changing rooms for spring semester, before leaving you must:
- Contact the current resident of the room into which you will be moving and set up a time you can move in your things prior to leaving for break.
- Move all of your belongings out of your current room and into your new room.
- Check out of your current room following the checkout procedures.
- Turn in your room key (you will check in and receive your new room key after the break).
If you will not be returning to campus in January, before leaving you must check out of your room with your Residence Life student staff member, following all checkout procedures
. The residence halls reopen on Saturday, January 10, 2015 for all students.
All students must follow proper checkout procedures before leaving campus for the summer. Those who do not follow procedures may face improper checkout fines
All seniors must check out of their rooms or apartments before noon on Monday, May 19, and all non-seniors must check out of their rooms or apartments before 5 p.m. Sunday, May 18 in order to avoid late checkout fees up to $250.
All students (seniors and non-seniors) must check out individually. Be sure to:
- Follow the checkout checklist
- Empty your room and common areas completely
- Check out with a Residence Life student staff member (students will be billed for any damages or missing furniture noted during checkout and/or during a second inspection by Residence Life staff)
- Sign your Room Condition Report form and turn in your key
Seniors: If you need to check out before 1 p.m. Sunday, May 18, you must schedule an appointment with your resident adviser or building manager. Residence Life staff will be available for checkouts from 1-7 p.m. Sunday and 8:30 a.m. - noon Monday, and you may call 704-894-2188 to make an appointment.
Non-seniors: You must make an appointment with your hall counselor, resident adviser or building manager at least 24 hours prior to your checkout time. Residence Life staff members will be available for appointments from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. each day except for Sunday, May 18, when they will be available from 1-5 p.m.