In order to check out at the end of the fall semester, please refer to the following checklist:
- Attend your hall's closing meeting.
- Sign up for a checkout time with your student staff member at least 24 hours before you plan to leave.
- Thoroughly clean your room/apartment. This includes:
- Removing all trash and recycling (taken to appropriate containers outside)
- Sweeping/vacuuming your space.
- Checking all drawers and closets for any personal items.
- Removing all personal unwanted items. All unwanted personal furniture, carpeting, and clothes should be taken to the dumpster outside your building. No items should be left in your room, in the building's hallway, or outside of the building.
- Meet your student staff member at your appointed time to check out. Please note:Your staff member will check the room for any damages and note them on the RCR.
- Room and common areas must be empty in order to check out.
- Roommates may not check out for one another.
- After your staff member completes the RCR for your room/apartment, sign the RCR and turn in your room key. The check out process is now complete.
Please note: Students who do not sign up for a check out time, clean their room properly, check out on time, or sign the RCR will likely be charged with an improper check out fee.
Before leaving campus, please do the following:
- Notify Residence Life, Registrar, Dean of Students and the Business Offices if you do not intend to return to Davidson for the spring semester (deadline is Nov. 1). XX date for the fall semester.
- Clear all accounts with Business Services.
- Return all library books to the Library before the last exam period.
- Return linens to laundry and check for unclaimed garments prior to leaving campus.
During checkout, Residence Life staff members complete the checkout portion of the RCR for each student. Any changes to the state of the room that occurred from the time a student checks in until they checkout will be considered damage and assessed a damage charge. Damages that will result in charges include, but are not limited to:
- Structural damage (e.g. holes in wall, chipped paint, carpet damage)
- Damage to room fixtures (lights, smoke detector, outlets, etc.)
- Damage to room furniture (partial damage that can be repaired or damages that result in furniture replacement)
- Missing furniture
For a full list of furniture replacement costs, please see Room Condition Guidelines and Damage Charges in the Residence Life Policies and Procedures
.Fines and Fees
The fees including, but not limited to, those listed below may be assessed during the closing process.
- Late Check-out - up to $250
- Improper Check-out (missed check-out time, did not sign RCR) - $50
- Improper Check-out (failure to check-out) - $100
- Rescore for lost key - $40 per key
- Cleaning - minimum of $50 up to $100
- Large item / furniture removal - $50 each item