The Backcountry Odyssey is open to incoming first-year students at Davidson (including transfers). Register Now.
- Due to the program's popularity and limited space, register early.
- Spaces are generally filled on a first-come, first-served basis, but we prefer to hold space in the last session for students who live more than 8 driving hours from Davidson.
- All incoming first-year students will receive a program brochure outling dates and prices, online registration, and an area where you can specify your communications preference (mail/online) for all future information.
- Online subscribers can download all other forms using the resource links (once they are updated) on the right.
You will need to complete your registration and two forms online: the Travel Plans and the Personal Information and Gear Request.
Download the brochure for each session to learn more about the program, what to bring, the risks involved and forms to be filled out before arriving.
- Session I: July 20-24
- Session II: July 31-Aug. 7
- Session III: Aug. 14-21
- Session I: $200
- Sessions II III: $325
Mail Payment to:
Backcountry Odyssey Registration
Davidson, NC 28035-7182
* Financial Aid recipients are required to send a deposit of $100.
- Financial aid is available to those students who have already qualified for aid from Davidson.
- Awards will be based on the level of need as assessed by the Office of Financial Aid and will be distributed by Davidson Outdoors.
- If you are interested in receiving aid for the Back Country Odyssey and you have already qualified for aid from Davidson, please indicate this in the appropriate area on the registration form and submit an initial deposit of $100.
- You will be notified of the amount of your award in your confirmation packet, at which time the balance will then be due.
When we have received your payment and added you to a session we will send you a confirmation email that will include links to two more online forms. Information about the program, personal gear and clothing checklists, a medical screening form, a liability release, and a checklist is included in the forms in the right margin of this page. Once you know what session you are in, feel free to download those forms.
If you cancel 23 days prior to the start of your session you will receive a full refund. We will issue a 50 percent refund for cancellations less than 23 days prior to the start of your session. No refunds will be given for cancellations made less than nine days prior to the start of your session.
You must bring your own hiking boots and clothing. Davidson Outdoors can provide you with a sleeping bag, pad, and backpack if you cannot bring your own. A complete list of necessary equipment and clothing will be sent to all participants.