CHE 115 Prerequisites
All students who want to enroll in CHE 115: Principles of Chemistry must obtain a satisfactory score on a departmental diagnostic exam OR complete a departmental online chemistry tutorial.
For New Students (Class of 2023) and Returning Students
For all students, but especially new students planning on taking CHE 115: Principles of Chemistry in the fall 2019 semester, you are advised to take the departmental diagnostic exam by June 20. The absolute latest you can take the diagnostic exam is the first day of classes on August 26 at 7:30 a.m. Failure to take the diagnostic before the first day of classes on August 26 at 7:30 a.m., means you will be dropped from CHE 115 if you were enrolled in the course.
To add the course after the August 26 deadline during the Regular Drop/Add period from August 26 – August 30, you must have a satisfactory diagnostic exam or have completed the online tutorial (see below), and you must obtain the permission of the chair of chemistry.
You must take the diagnostic chemistry exam on Moodle.
Instructions for Davidson Students who want to take the diagnostic:
- You must be a Davidson student with a Davidson username and password.
- Go to the course in Moodle
- If you are not already logged in, you will need to log in using your Davidson username and password.
- You will be prompted to enter the enrollment key: Chemistry2019.
- Read the instructions carefully, download and print the Periodic table, have some scratch paper and a calculator ready and start the 60-minute diagnostic.
- IMPORTANT! Do not start the diagnostic if you need accommodations! We must obtain notification from the Director of Academic Access and Disability Resources to provide accommodations. If a student taking the CHE 115 diagnostic exam needs to make a request for accommodations, contact Director of Academic Access and Disability Resources (AADR) Beth Bleil at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-894-2129. In order to review and implement a student's request prior to the August 26 deadline, it is recommended that accommodation requests be submitted by August 1. Note that requests received later in the summer will limit the amount of time you have to take the 30-hour online tutorial, if required. Once accommodations are approved, you will be contacted with further instructions for taking the diagnostic or tutorial. Please keep in mind that accommodations are not retroactive.
An email will be sent with instructions on how to enroll in the chemistry tutorial once the diagnostic is complete. The tutorial is free to any Davidson student who would like to take advantage of this review of fundamental chemistry. The online chemistry tutorial will be available sometime early June.
Again, plan on taking the diagnostic exam far enough in advance of the August 26 deadline so that you will also have time to complete the online tutorial, which will take about 30 hours to complete.
Once you have completed the diagnostic, you will receive an email telling you one of three things:
- You obtained a satisfactory score on the diagnostic. You do not have to do anything else. If you would like a nice review of material before the spring semester, feel free to take the online chemistry tutorial over the summer.
- You obtained a marginal score. You do not have to do anything else, but you are strongly urged to take the online chemistry tutorial over the summer as preparation for CHE 115.
- You did not obtain a satisfactory score on the diagnostic and are required to take the online chemistry tutorial. If you are enrolling, enrolled already, or hope to add CHE 115 for the fall semester, the tutorial must be completed. For those already enrolled in CHE 115 and did not obtain a satisfactory diagnostic score, you must complete the tutorial by August 26 at 7:30 a.m., or you will be dropped from CHE 115. For those desiring to add CHE 115 after August 26 at 8:30 a.m., you will have to complete the tutorial to be added to CHE 115 after the August 26 deadline, as well as obtain permission of the chair of chemistry.
Again, during the drop/add period after August 26 at 8:30 a.m., adding CHE 115 will be by permission only from the Chair of Chemistry who will check to make sure you have completed the CHE 115 prerequisite (a satisfactory diagnostic score taken before August 26 or have completed the online tutorial).
Welcome to Davidson and we look forward to seeing you in our classes next fall!
If you still have questions direct them to Professor Durwin Striplin in the chemistry department at email@example.com.