Medical and Dental School Admission
Approximately 13-15 percent of students in each graduating class apply to medical/dental school each year and the majority of them are successful in gaining admission to at least one medical/dental school the first time they apply.
Many students take a gap year after completing the undergraduate degree to gain experience and strengthen their application.
Allopathic, osteopathic and podiatric medical schools require all candidates for admission take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), administered each year in January and March through September by the Association of American Medical Colleges. You should not take this exam until you have completed all pre-medicine and pre-dentistry courses, which will likely be during the spring of your junior year. If you are interested in dental medicine, you are required to take the Dental Admissions Test (DAT), which is offered in the spring and fall of each year.
Most allopathic, osteopathic, podiatric, dental, and medical schools use centralized online application services. Through these centralized services, you submit a single application, which is then routed to participating medical schools. These services first verify the application then submit it to your selected schools; the schools then conduct their initial screenings of applicants. If they are interested in you, individual medical schools request supplemental information and recommendations. Continued favorable review will lead to an interview, followed by a decision on your candidacy. Even though you may submit your application at any time during the application cycle, we recommend that you submit your primary application by July 15 if you are sure of your decision to apply in the current cycle, whether or not you have taken the MCAT or completed PAC evaluation.
- Medical (Allopathic - MD) American Medical Colleges Application Service (AMCAS)
- Medical (Allopathic - MD) Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service (TMDSAS)(Texas MD Schools, except Baylor)
- Medical (Osteopathic Medicine -DO) American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS)
- Dental (DSS) American Association of Dental Schools Application Services (AADSAS)
- Physician Assistant Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
- Veterinary(VET) Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS)
- Podiatric Medicine (AACPMAS) American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine Application Service (AACPMAS)