The original Martin Chemical Laboratory—The Science Hall—was built in 1899-1901. It cost $15,000 to build, and was named for William Joseph Martin (1830-1896), Davidson College professor of chemistry, geology and natural history and acting college president (1887-1888). It was demolished in 1940.
The new building was built in 1941-1944 and was dedicated April 14, 1944. It was remodeled in 1960 and renovated in 1978.
A rededication of Martin Chemical Laboratory was celebrated in 1980, and the latest renovation took place in 1997. In addition to the aforementioned naming, the current Martin building, as it stands today, is also named for William Joseph Martin, Jr. (1868-1943), professor of chemistry (1896-1912) and college president (1912-1929).
A complete history of Martin Chemical Laboratory is available through the Davidson College Archives.