Through the generosity of the Freeman Foundation, Davidson College is providing 20 students a $5,000 grant to participate in internships in Asia for two months in summer 2019. The Davidson in East Asia Internship Program offers students the opportunity to gain real-world experience in the dynamic East and Southeast Asia region.
Eligible internship hosts include businesses, governments, research institutes, non-profit organizations, and other institutions in Brunei, Cambodia, China (including Hong Kong and Macao), East Timor, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
With the assistance of the Center for Career Development, students can apply and serve as an intern in a wide variety of fields. While the program has various connections developed by the Center for Career Development and the East Asian Studies Program, students are encouraged to pursue opportunities identified through independent research. See below for possible internship connections through Davidson alumni and parents. Although students will not receive course credit for successful completion of the internship, they will receive financial support for this summer experience.
• Airfare and transportation expenses
• Housing and utilities
• Food costs
• Funds are meant to cover cost-of-living expenses and are not to be considered wage replacement
• Students will be required to submit a report of their expenses at the end of the program
• Students are responsible for securing their own housing, coordinating their individual travel arrangements, and pursuing proper work authorization for their internship. Some employers may provide assistance with these tasks.
• October 30th, 2018: Information session at 11:05 a.m. in Alvarez 209 (Morcott Room)
• Dec. 3, 2018: Application deadline
• Dec. 19, 2018: Notification of selected students
• Jan. 18, 2019: Deadline for acceptance of award
• Jan. 18-Feb. 23, 2019: Work with Center for Career Development on researching employers and creating documents for internship applications
• May 1, 2019: Deadline for confirming internship placement
• Students of all class years and majors are encouraged to apply. Priority is given to students that will be returning to Davidson for the fall 2019 semester (fall 2019 study abroad students are eligible).
• Students are not eligible for a grant if they intend to receive academic credit for Explorer 099 or an independent study.
• Applications are open to all students. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are encouraged to apply.
Students submit a written application and resume/CV through Handshake. The written application requires the contact information for one Davidson faculty member to serve as a reference and a short essay.
Generated through alumni, parents, and faculty networks.
Arts, Media, Communications & Marketing
Bridge Magazine - Beijing
Consulting, Management, Sales, & Hospitality
TE Connectivity - Shanghai
Manufacturing, Technology & Software
TÜV SÜD Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. - Singapore
Sustainability & Renewable Energy
Woods and Wayside International - Indonesia
Banking, Finance, Real Estate & Insurance
Credit Suisse - Tokyo
Public Policy, Politics, Government, International Affairs & Law
United Education & Investment - Chengdu
Research, Healthcare, Medicine & Medical Research
RTI International - Multiple Locations