Davidson Career Advisor Network
The Davidson Career Advisor Network (DCAN) is an online platform that facilitates phone-based career conversations, resume reviews, and mock interviews among Davidson College alumni, students, parents, and friends.
DCAN helps students and alumni find the expertise they need to fulfill their professional goals, including getting insight into specific industries, job functions, and graduate programs. Close to 1300 alumni, families and friends are registered as advisors, and hundreds of students and alumni use the system to research advisors and request consultations each year. 750+ phone consultations, and many follow-up conversations, have occurred through DCAN.
To register, visit Davidson.firsthand and complete the 3-minute registration process. Users can register as advisors (clicking Give Advice), advisees (clicking Get Advice), or both.
If you want to register as an advisor and an advisee, start by clicking Get Advice; you will have the option of adding advisee access later in the registration process.
As an advisor, you can:
- Import your profile information from LinkedIn, if desired
- Indicate typical times of availability for advising calls
- Accept or decline any specific request, and cap the number of requests you receive in a 30-day period
- Ask the student or alumnus/a advisee to prepare specific information or questions in advance of the call
- Select if you would like to offer career conversations, resume critiques, and/or mock interviews
- Contact the Center for Career Development if you have additional feedback about specific advisees beyond the advice you give directly to the advisee
- Also gain access to DCAN as an advice-seeker during the registration process.
Students and alumni are welcome to use the platform as advice-seekers. To register, go to the DCAN platform and select Get Advice. Students should log in with their davidson.edu credentials. If you are a member of the Class of 2016 - 18, you already have an account; you may try to log in using your preferred email address with Davidson. If you are unable to log in, please contact email@example.com to request the email address connected with your account. Other alumni can log in with their preferred email address.
As an advisee, you can:
- Create a profile that includes your specific career interests
- Search the database of advisors using a variety of criteria and request consultations with specific advisors
- Receive a "monthly match" email with a lead for an advisor who may be of interest to you
Please note: you are requesting a consultation to request advice from alumni, parents and friends of the college who are volunteering their name. Be prepared and be respectful. Please contact the Center for Career Development for additional tips on making the most of DCAN.