Teaching Resources by Topic
Bibliography & Links
Teaching and Learning Spreadsheet - Teaching and Learning Journals (XLS)
Noyd, Robert. "A Primer on Writing Effective Learning-Centered Course Goals," n.d. (PDF)
Stevens, Dannelle D, and Antonia Levi. Introduction to Rubrics : An Assessment Tool to Save Grading Time, Convey Effective Feedback, and Promote Student Learning. Second. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2013.
Bain, Ken. What the Best College Teachers Do. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2004.
Bergman, Jonathan, Sams, Aaron. Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day. International Society for Technology in Education, 2012.
Blended Learning, Flipped Classroom
Bowen, Jose Antonio. Teaching Naked: How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2012
General Teaching, Use of Technology
Brownell, Sara E., and Kimberly D. Tanner. "Barriers to Faculty Pedagogical Change: Lack of Training, Time, Incentives, and...Tensions with Professional Identity?" CBE-Life Sciences Education 11, no. 4 (December 21, 2012): 339-346. doi:10.1187/cbe.12-09-0163
General Teaching, STEM, PMID: 23222828.
- "Can Colleges Build Students' Cultural Capital? And Should They?" Inside Higher Ed. Accessed January 3, 2014.
- Davis, James, and Bridget Arend. Facilitating Seven Ways of Learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2013
- Gallagher, Kristel M. and Stocker, Shevaun L. A Guide to Incorporating Social-Emotional Learning in the College Classroom: Busting Anxiety, Boosting Ability, Society for the Teaching of Psychology, 2018
- Doyle, Terry. Learner-Centered Teaching: Putting the Research on Learning into Practice. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2011.
- Finkel, Donald. Teaching With Your Mouth Shut. Portsmouth, NH: Boynton/Cook Publishers, 2000.
- Gabriel, Kathleen. Teaching Unprepared Students: Strategies for Promoting Success and Retention in Higher Education. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2008.
General Teaching, Inclusive Pedagogy
Glazer, Francine. Blended Learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2012.
Kaplan, Matthew, Naomi Silver, Danielle Lavaque-Manty, and Deborah Meizlish. Using Reflection and Metacognition to Improve Student Learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2013.
General Teaching, Learning and Cognition
McManus, Dean. Leaving the Lectern: Cooperative Learning and the Critical First Days of Students Working in Groups. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
General Teaching, Group Work
"Report Documents How Higher Education Exacerbates Racial Inequities." Inside Higher Ed. Accessed January 3, 2014.
Saroyan, Alenoush, and Cheryl Amundsen. Rethinking Teaching in Higher Education: From a Course Design Workshop to a Faculty Development Framework. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2004.
Simkins, Scott, and Mark Maier. Just-in-Time Teaching: Across the Disciplines, across the Academy. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2010.
General Teaching, Online Teaching
Supiano, Beckie. "Now Everyone Has a Solution for Higher Education." The Chronicle of Higher Education, November 25, 2013.
General Teaching, Competency-based Education
- "UC Davis's Groundbreaking Digital Badge System for New Sustainable Agriculture Program." Inside Higher Ed. Accessed January 3, 2014.
- "UCLA Grad Students Stage Sit-in during a Class to Protest What They See as Racially Hostile Climate." Inside Higher Ed. Accessed November 27, 2013.
Inclusive Pedagogy, Microaggression
Weimer, Maryellen. Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
Zull, James. The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2002.
General Teaching, Learning, & Cognition
Teaching Conferences Directory
Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Kennesaw State University
Sue, Derald. "Race Talk: The Psychology of Racial Dialogues." American Psychologist (November 2013): 663 - 672.
Hansen, Edmund. Idea-Based Learning: A Course Design Process to Promote Conceptual Understanding. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2011.
Michaelsen, Larry, Arletta Knight, and L. Dee Fink. Team-Based Learning: A Transformative Use of Small Groups. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2002.
Millis, Barbara. Cooperative Learning In Higher Education: Across the Disciplines, across the Academy. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2010.
Learning & Cognition
- Doyle, Terry, and Todd Zakrajsek. The New Science of Learning: How to Learn in Harmony with Your Brain. Sterling, VA: Stylus, n.d.
- Dunlosky, John, Katherine A. Rawson, Elizabeth J. Marsh, Mitchell J. Nathan, and Daniel T. Willingham. "What Works, What Doesn't." Scientific American Mind 24, no. 4 (October 9, 2013): 47.
- Eshel, Neir. The Science Inside Learning. Washington, DC: American Associate for the Advancement of Science, 2007
Neuroscience of Learning
- Pashler,, Harold, Mark McDaniel, Rohrer, and Bjork. "Learning Styles: Concepts and Evidence." Psychological Science in the Public Interest 9, no. 3 (December 2008): 105-119.
- Zull, James. From Brain to Mind: Using Neuroscience to Guide Change in Education. Sterling: Stylus, 2011.
"UC Davis's Groundbreaking Digital Badge System for New Sustainable Agriculture Program. Inside Higher Ed." Accessed January 3, 2014.
General Teaching, Competency-based Education
Young, Jeffrey R. "Will MOOCs Change the Way Professors Handle the Classroom?" The Chronicle of Higher Education, MOOCs.