Common Reading Book
Davidson College is devoted to the life of the mind and the development of the whole person. We believe that one of the best ways to begin your journey here is to read a common book, discuss it during Orientation, and apply what you learn to your life at Davidson.
The common reading book will be mailed to all new students during the summer.
The selected book for new students is My Brother Moochie Regaining Dignity in the Face of Crime, Poverty, and Racism in the American South by Issac J. Bailey '95.
Please plan to read the book before the start of Orientation, and come prepared to discuss the book with your peers.
Past common reading selections include the following.
- 2018: Color and Character
- 2017: Good Kings Bad Kings
- 2016: Between The World and Me
- 2015: Americanah
- 2014: The Other Wes Moore
- 2013: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- 2012: Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey
- 2011: In the Sanctuary of Outcasts
- 2010: Here, Bullet
- 2009: Old School
- 2008: Ecology of a Cracker Childhood
- 2007: The Reluctant Fundamentalist
- 2006: The Dignity of Difference
- 2005: The Kite Runner
- 2004: Two Souls Indivisible
- 2003: A Hope in the Unseen
- 2002: Nickel and Dimed
- 2001: On the Uses of a Liberal Education (essay)
- 2000: All Over but the Shoutin'
- 1999: A Gracious Plenty
- 1998: Snow Falling on Cedars
- 1997: My Own Country
- 1996: Life on the Color Line
- 1995: Kindred
- 1994: Fiela's Child
- 1993: Waiting for the Barbarians