Please read our frequently asked questions to help address some of the common questions we are asked.

Should your own inquiries be more specific, don't hesitate to contact us at 704-894-2300 or email We will be happy to assist you.

My physician does not have an appointment available for my physical exam until after the due date. What should I do?

You should complete pages 1, 6 and 7 and send them to us no later than June 30 along with a copy of your immunization record if you have one in your possession. You should note on the form the date of your physical exam appointment. Be sure to take pages 4, 5, 6 and 9 to your appointment as these pages need to be completed and signed by your medical provider. Compare your immunizations with the requirements noted on page 3 for your age group and have your physician give you all needed immunizations.

My mom is a physician. Can she complete my health form?

No. Physical exams performed by a parent will not be accepted.

I completed a medical form for the Odyssey trip or for Athletics as a varsity athlete. Do I still have to complete the Admission History & Physical Exam Form?

Yes, this form will provide the basis for your medical chart which will be utilized when you visit the Center for Student Health and Well-Being. You must complete it in addition to any forms required by Davidson Outdoors or the Athletic Department.

Do I really have to have more shots?

NC Immunization Law (General Statute 130A 155.1) states that freshmen entering college for the first time must present physician-signed/clinic stamped evidence of the immunizations noted as required on the health form. The law requires that students be pulled from classes if they have not presented an immunization record. Please note that the student is not permitted to pick and choose what immunizations they want to receive.

North Carolina law provides for only two types of exemptions from required immunizations:

  • Medical exemptions can only be requested by a physician licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina. The Center for Student Health and Well-Being can direct you to the appropriate form to be completed by the physician and submitted to the State Health Director for approval.
  • For a religious exemption, upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to immunizations the person may attend college without presenting a certificate of immunization. This statement must be written and signed by the student if age eighteen or older or the parent if the student is under the age of eighteen.

One of the requirements is a series of shots given over six months that I cannot complete before I arrive for Orientation. What should I do?

You should start the series, have your physician note the dates on your immunization record and send your immunization record to us. We will assist you in completing the series after your arrival here or let you know if it is acceptable for you to complete the series at home over the academic breaks. The series must be completed within an acceptable timeframe or NC law requires that you be removed from classes.

What if it is a hardship for me to obtain a particular vaccine in my home country?

You should let the Center for Student Health and Well-Being staff know either by phone, 704-894-2300 or email We will be happy to assist you.

I am a varsity athlete. Do I send the NCAA required sickle cell test report to Center for Student Health and Well-Being or to the Athletic Department?

The sickle cell test report should be sent to Center for Student Health and Well-Being.

I plan to have the health insurance offered by the college but do not yet know the certificate and group numbers to put on my health form. When will I know these?

Your health insurance card and information will be sent to your on-campus post office box within the first two weeks of your arrival. Do not delay sending your health form to us. Just attach a note or write “School insurance” on page 1 of your health form. Business Services will send with your tuition bill information about the health insurance offered by the college.

I do not want the health insurance offered by the college. What do I need to do?

All students are billed every year on their fall tuition bill for the health insurance. All international students are required to keep the college-offered insurance. In order to waive the insurance, you will need to complete an on-line waiver each year showing evidence of coverage by a private policy that provides benefits in this area. Business Services will include information about the on-line waiver system and deadline for waiving when they send the insurance information. Submitting your private insurance information on the Medical History and Physical Exam form DOES NOT constitute a waiver.