Accessibility Navigation:

Vendor Numbers

Prior to being paid, Vendors must be established in Banner. To be established in Banner, a new vendor form must be completed.

Finding Vendor Numbers

Vendor numbers can be found in the VendorLookup database, which is located in the Self-Service (login required) folder of InsideDavidson Reports.

New Vendor Set Up - U.S. Businesses or Individuals

If the vendor you will be paying is a Davidson student, faculty or staff, email and ask for the individual to be set up as a vendor. No additional paperwork is necessary.

If the vendor you will be paying is an external vendor, they must complete the appropriate new vendor request/substitute W-9 Form. The vendor can fax that form to the Accounts Payable Coordinator at 704-894-2502 or email the form to Please also send an informational email to so that we will anticipate receiving the form and will know who to notify once the vendor number is established. In this email, please include what we will be paying the vendor for, and how much, so that we will know whether the payment is subject to 1099 reporting and N.C. 4 percent withholding.

We must have a completed New Vendor Request/Substitute W-9 form before we can enter a vendor into Banner. we will not set up new vendors based on email requests. We will also accept IRS Form W-9 forms (must be the most recent version).

New Vendor Set Up - Foreign Businesses or Individuals

Due to complexities surrounding payments to non-U.S. vendors (individuals or businesses, including Davidson students), please contact our Payroll Coordinator (x2461) or our Accounts Payable Coordinator (x2206) as soon as you are aware that you will paying a non-U.S. vendor, even for reimbursement of expenses.

Non-U.S. Individuals should complete a Foreign National Information Form and non-U.S. business should complete a form W-8BENE

Please refer to the Foreign National Payment Processing (login required) policy for additional information.

Out-of-State Vendors and Individuals

Personal services rendered by non-North Carolina individuals and companies (including non-U.S. vendors) are subject to a four percent withholding under North Carolina law. The North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) has deemed personal services in connection with the following events to be subject to this four percent withholding: 

  • Performance
  • Entertainment or athletic event
  • Speech
  • Creation of a film, radio or television program

This requirement is applicable to vendors who receive payments in excess of $1,500 from us in a calendar year. Please tell the Accounts Payable Coordinator in advance if the voucher is for a one-time payment under the limit. Reimbursement for expenses is not subject to this withholding.

Non-U.S. citizens are also subject to this tax, unless they are covered by a tax treaty, in which case they are exempt. See the Non-U.S. Citizens  section for more information on tax treaties.

Please contact our Accounts Payable Coordinator at x2206, prior to making payment arrangements, with any questions concerning the withholding requirements for non-North Carolina recipients.

Visit the North Carolina Department of Revenue for more information.

Unincorporated Vendors

Federal regulations require us to report payments for services rendered by unincorporated vendors, such as speakers, performers, and contractors. These payments are reported to the IRS via IRS Form 1099-Misc.

We must have a tax identification number (TIN, Employer Identification number or Social Security Number) for each unincorporated vendor. The vendor is required by law to provide us with their correct TIN. We collect this information on the new vendor request/substitute W-9 form. No checks will be issued until this completed/signed form is obtained.

Payments must be made directly to the person/company providing the service. We will not issue checks to third parties.