Accessibility Navigation:

Housing and Relocation Reimbursement Policy

Davidson College recognizes that new employees selected as a result of a national or regional search should be granted some reimbursement of normal moving expenses.


  • New employees must move at least 50 miles to be eligible for this benefit.
  • Moving expenses must be incurred within one year of the date of employment.
  • The moving expense payment/reimbursement category of the new employee will be indicated in the offer letter.
  • This policy covers expenses incurred to move belongings within the continental United State.
  • The new employee is responsible for any costs associated with the transport of personal belongings from another country or U.S. territory to the continental United States.
  • The division vice president must approve exceptions to this policy in writing and any excess expense above the normal allowance will be charged to the division.

Policy Details Payment/Reimbursement 


  • 80 Percent Payment of Normal Moving Expenses - Moving expenses for new tenure-track faculty will be paid at 80 percent. Moving expenses for new staff selected for positions classified at or above Grade 9 will be paid at 80 percent
  • $2,500 Lump Sum Reimbursement for Visiting Faculty - New, full-time, visiting faculty members will be paid the lesser of $2,500 or 80 percent of actual moving expenses
  • $1,000 Lump Sum Reimbursement - New salaried employees selected for positions classified as Grade 5, 6, 7, or 8 will be paid the lesser of: $1,000 or 80 percent of actual moving expenses.

Moving Provisions, Exclusions and Procedures

  • The college will only pay for the one-time movement of belongings from one location. 
  • Additional expenses charged for moving large or unusual items (such as, but not limited to, pianos, automobiles, boats, extraordinary cost to move works of art, etc.) will not be reimbursed.
  • Davidson College provides support in moving to the Davidson area. The college deals frequently with United/Armstrong Movers who bill the college directly for their services. If the employee uses United/Armstrong, the college will evaluate the assessed charges, pay the bill, and then collect the employee expenses.
  • If the employee uses another moving company of the employee's choice, the employee will pay the moving expenses and then, upon submission of a receipt, receive reimbursement for the college's share of the moving expense.
  • When using any moving company, employees must acquire a written estimate from that company (United/Armstrong or other) and submit this estimate in advance to the College Housing and Relocation Office, c/o manager of college housing and relocation. Please note that the college cannot guarantee the accuracy of any moving expense estimate provided by any moving company. Please try to work carefully with the company to ensure the most accurate estimate.
  • Employees may also move themselves and maintain all receipts to submit for reimbursement.

Important Note: When using a moving company, you are responsible for being at the destination point to accept delivery of your household items. This includes being at the location in time to open the unit, check off items on the delivery sheet as they are removed from the truck and sign required paperwork for the driver. Employees of the housing/relocation department are not allowed to accept delivery. If you are unable to be there, please make arrangements with someone to handle these matters for you.

Questions regarding eligibility or reimbursement procedures should be directed to the Human Resources Office at 704-894-2213 or the College Housing and Relocation Office at 704-894- 2220.

Administration of Policy

The director of facilities planning and management shall oversee this policy and review it at least once every two years. Changes to this policy shall be made in accordance with the college policy on policies.

Last revised: October 2017