A. Malcolm Campbell Herman Brown Professor of Biology
- Postdoctoral, Washington University
- Postdoctoral, Macalester College
- Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University
- B.S. Davidson College
Areas of Expertise
- Introductory Biology
- Biology for Non-Majors
- Writing in Science
I have published education research showing that our approach to introductory biology is more effective than the traditional approach. I have written three textbooks and two laboratory manuals that accompany the two introductory biology courses (majors and non-majors).
My students have conducted synthetic biology research where they designed and built biological machines. Some of these 200+ students have pursued research or medical career paths, and others have pursued a wide variety of different jobs.
- BIO 105 Biology for Life (with lab non-STEM majors)
- BIO 113 Integrating Concepts in Biology (with lab)
- WRI 101 Fake News, Real Science first year writing course
- BIO 370-373 Independent Study
What is the most effective way for students to learn in STEM fields? Malcolm Campbell, who co-authored a recent e-textbook that has received high praise from educators and scientists, says students who learn through active engagement in the classroom will be the most successful at retaining the information.