We seek to engage all members of the college community in collective efforts to impact community development and change.
We offer multiple pathways to connect community experiences with academic study across disciplines. Through these opportunities, students will:
- Develop professional and academic skills that equip them to be change-makers, including critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, applied ethics, project management and teamwork.
- Value social responsibility and community work that is inclusive, reciprocal, reflective, and sustainable.
- Deepen their understanding of today's complex society, particularly the inequities surrounding issues of race, class, gender, and socioeconomic status.
In addition to facilitating pathways to meaningful experiences, we foster reciprocal and mutually beneficial relationships in which community members, faculty members, staff members, and students serve as co-educators and co-learners (with each other). We work with faculty and staff members, as well as community leaders, to:
- Promote collaborations that build the capacities of our communities.
- Connect academic goals with community-defined needs to create collective impact.
- Convene dialogues that promote partnership development and are responsive to evolving community issues.
Contact Information & Hours
Location: Box 7181, Alvarez College Union
Phone Number: 704-894-2420
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday