CatCard Account Differences

There are two kinds of financial transactions or accounts that can be accessed with your CatCard—your Declining Balance Account or Dining Dollars.

Declining Balance Accounts

Declining Balance Accounts (DBA) are essentially a personal savings account. A DBA allows you to make purchases without using cash at all on-campus dining and retail locations and in some vending areas. It may also be used for purchases ranging from textbooks to concert tickets and is also accepted for delivery purchases from a limited number of local restaurants.

You or your parents may deposit money online  for your CatCard using a credit card or offline through the CatCard Services Office.

Refunds & Fees

Any declining balance deposits left at the end of your career at Davidson are either posted to remaining debits on your student account or reimbursed back to you.

An upcharge fee of $10 is taken from the first deposit of each school year. Because federal and state banking regulations govern card transactions, students or parents may withdraw funds from the declining balance account for only two reasons

  • Graduation or withdrawal of student from Davidson College
  • Year-end refunds (requested during the last 15 days of the academic year)

Dining Dollars

When you can't get to Vail Commons or the Union Café during regular meal hours, Dining Dollars can be used to purchase food and drink on campus, including at the vending machines. All freshman, and most other meal plans in general, include some measure of Dining Dollars. Visit the meal plan page to see the amount.

Dining Dollars are distinct from a declining balance account because they are part of most meal plans, and like your meal plan, Dining Dollars are non-refundable and valid only until the end of the semester. They do not carry over.

Because Dining Dollars are non-refundable, the CatCard system automatically pulls money from your Dining Dollars account first for any qualifying purchases, ensuring that these semester-only funds are used up before drawing on any of your personal funds from your declining balance account.

If you have additional questions, please contact us  in the CatCard Office at 704-894-2951.