Built circa 1848, the Carolina Inn is one of the oldest buildings in the Town of Davidson. It serves as the college's home for the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies, which enables students to design interdisciplinary majors.
Originally a hotel and store, it was acquired in 1946 by the college and has served as a meeting place, faculty offices, classrooms and occasionally as a hotel. The building was designated a Charlotte Mecklenburg Historical Site in 1977.
The Carolina Inn is located at 215 North Main Street on the west side of Main Street between Griffith Street and Depot Street. Parking is available along Concord Road or behind the VAC and ITS buildings accessible from Jackson Street.