Fundraising for New Athletic Center Exceeds $13.3 Million; Construction Plans Move Forward
Davidson College Athletics is growing in the most literal of ways. Thanks to many gifts from alumni, parents, friends, season ticket holders and loyal Wildcat fans, the new Athletic Center – an enhancement to Baker Sports Complex – has surpassed the $13.3 million fundraising mark, allowing construction to begin, pending October approval from the college's Board of Trustees.
The $13.3 million figure includes the completion of the $4 million Vance Challenge, a dollar-for-dollar match issued by Samuel and Ann Vance Ginn in honor of Ann's father, Harry L. Vance, Davidson class of 1926. The success of this challenge, nearly three years ahead of schedule, solidifies the naming of the space as the Harry L. Vance Athletic Center.
"The Vance Athletic Center was designed with our entire community in mind," said Davidson College President Carol Quillen. "It will enable new opportunities for our Atlantic 10 Conference sports teams, enhance our dance programs and provide convening spaces for the campus and alumni community. We are so grateful to the Ginn family and all the alumni, parents and friends who pledged support to make this center possible."
Features of the facility will include:
Practice courts for men's and women's basketball, and volleyball
- Locker rooms, team rooms and film rooms for men's and women's basketball
- Administrative offices for men's and women's basketball
- Cheryle Williamson Center for Dance with two studios, office space and storage
- Red Ventures Athletic Club for hospitality and team meeting space
- Enhanced Nisbet Hall of Fame
- New ticket office with internal and external ticket windows
- New game day main entrance easily accessible from the parking lot
- Expanded Basil Boyd Training Room
Naming opportunities recognizing support of Davidson Athletics and the ongoing maintenance of the new facility are still available.
- August 22, 2014
- Alumni and Family Engagement
- Inside Davidson
- News Headlines