College Breaks Multiple Fundraising Records
The first public year of Davidson's comprehensive fundraising campaign was one for the record books. Game Changers: Inspiring Leaders to Transform the World aims to raise support for scholarships, academic and athletic experiences and transitioning students to lives of impact, and every gift made this year counts toward the campaign goal to surpass $425 million by June 30, 2019. To date, the campaign total has surpassed $257 million.
More than $63.8 million in gifts and commitment was raised during the 2015 fiscal year (July 1, 2014-June 30, 2015), supporting every priority of the college.
Specific successes include:
- Alumni participation of 59.5 percent, a leading figure nationally
- A record-breaking $17.7 million raised through gifts and commitments to The Fund for Davidson
- A record-breaking $2.7 million raised through the Davidson Athletic Fund
- A record-breaking $1.8 million raised through the Parent Fund for Davidson
- A record-breaking $1.5 million raised for WDAV Classical Public Radio
- More than $17.4 million raised in planned gifts
- More than $12.6 million raised in gifts and commitments from Reunion classes
- Senior class of 2015 giving of 91 percent
"The first public year of the Game Changers campaign has been extraordinary," said President Carol Quillen. "Davidson can attract and educate the most talented students in the world because of the generous support the college receives for scholarships, research, athletics, international experiences, internships, the arts, entrepreneurial programs and beyond. This coming year, we will open the Harry L. Vance Athletic Center, and we will largely complete two wings of the new academic building. These are not small accomplishments, and they make a huge difference for our students, faculty and coaches. Thank you for making each day at Davidson an extraordinary opportunity. Every gift and commitment contributes to the exceptional educational experiences students at Davidson College enjoy every day."
During fiscal year 2015:
- 591 Davidson College-funded scholarships were awarded to 1,156 students. Of those, 195 student athletes received support from 97 scholarships.
- For the class of 2015, 74 percent of students had an international experience during their time at Davidson, with 64 percent participating in a study abroad program.
- Approximately 315 jobs, internships and fellowships were posted by alumni and parents through the Center for Career Development, resulting in 132 hires.
- Approximately 168 students engaged in original research with faculty (academic year), and more than 200 have participated in research with faculty during the summer months of 2014 and 2015.
- Entrepreneurial experiences included approximately 25 internships, 17 students involved in a start-up weekend, 30 conference and workshop attendees, 10 mentorship opportunities, five job shadowing experiences and more.
- 17 Davidson Impact Fellowships for recent graduates were created and filled.
Also of note, among the 465 graduates from the class of 2014, more than 75 percent are employed, interning or completing military or volunteer service, and more than 13 percent are pursuing further educational opportunities.
"Saying ‘thank you' to the many alumni, parents, organizations and friends who give to Davidson year after year feels inadequate when we look at the many incredible opportunities afforded to our students through their contributions," said Eileen Keeley, vice president for college relations. "I also am grateful for the hard work of my colleagues in College Relations and across campus and to the many, extraordinary volunteers who ensure gift support to the college remains top of mind for our constituents. We simply could not do what we do as a college and as a community without their ongoing, generous support."
Charlotte Observer: "Davidson College Alumni Support Grows"
- July 13, 2015
- Inside Davidson