Alumni #TakeExit30 for Homecoming Weekend
Hundreds of alumni will return to campus this weekend in celebration of Davidson's Homecoming.
Events start Friday, when the field hockey team takes on Appalachian State at 6 p.m. The game will be followed by a late night alumni social at the on-campus Summit Coffee. Saturday features a pre-game tailgate that starts at 10 a.m. in the Baker Sports Complex parking lot. There will be food trucks, music, a bounce house and beer from a local brewery.
The football game against Stetson University kicks off at 1 p.m. and will be broadcast live by Time Warner Sports Channel. The 'Cats will be shown on Time Warner channels 77 and 323 across North Carolina and parts of South Carolina.
- Other Homecoming events include a corn hole tournament, Black Student Coalition Cookout and Fall Fling, and a semi-formal dance on Saturday. The full schedule is available online.
- The Davidson College Store will offer 30 percent off in-store purchases for Homecoming (diploma frames, rings, lamps and chairs are excluded). The store will be open from 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday, Sept. 30, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 1.
- Be sure to follow Alumni Relations on Twitter (@davidsonalums), Instagram (@davidsonalumni), and Facebook to find out the weekly theme and post your own pictures. Search #TakeExit30 to find tweets, posts and photos.
- The first homecoming was celebrated in 1923.
- Homecoming festivities for 2015 were canceled due to Hurricane Joaquin.
- Homecoming also has been canceled due to World War II, an outbreak of the Asian flu and after Sept. 11, 2001.
- Dionne Warwick and James Taylor's brother, Livingston Taylor, once performed at Homecoming weekend festivities.
- Over the years, football opponents for Homecoming have included University of North Carolina, Duke, The Citadel, Dayton and Drake.
- Homecoming queens have been named since 1959; homecoming king and queen are still named every year.
Source for facts: http://libraries.davidson.edu/archives/encyclopedia/homecoming
- September 29, 2016
- Featured News
- Inside Davidson