Inclement Weather Plan
In case of inclement or threatening weather, Commencement will be held in the John M. Belk Arena in Baker Sports Complex.
The inclement weather plan (only) will be a ticketed event, with no exceptions for entry to Belk Arena.
Please read carefully below for process details:
- Seniors will receive instructions on how to reserve up to seven tickets on Friday, February 8. Tickets must be reserved by March 1 to guarantee the ability to receive seven tickets.
- Faculty and staff will receive instructions on how to reserve up to two tickets on Friday, February 8. Faculty participating in the ceremony do not need tickets for themselves, but may claim tickets for family and friends. These tickets must be claimed by March 1.
- Community members, including non-senior students, may claim up to two tickets out of a limited pool of available tickets, between Monday, April 1 and Monday, April 8. These tickets will be available for pick up at the Alvarez College Union ticket office (M-F 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) on a first come, first served basis.
- If additional tickets are available, graduating seniors will receive an email on April 1 with instructions on how to claim additional tickets.
- Note: All tickets are for general seating. Each ticket will be checked at the interior entrances to the arena.
No one may be admitted to Belk Arena for graduation without a ticket.
Please plan ahead! Students will NOT be available to help their families on Graduation Day; they'll be lining up in their caps and gowns!
Those without tickets may join current students, staff, faculty emeriti, townsfolk and other members of the college's extended family for a "watch party" in the Alvarez College Union. The ceremony will be streaming live in two locations there: the C. Shaw Smith 900 Room and the Duke Family Performance Hall.
Commencement, Sunday, May 19, 2019
8 a.m. Will Call opens at Belk Arena; seating opens for ticket holders.
9:50 a.m. Academic Procession
10 a.m. Commencement Ceremony
Map, Directions & Parking
See the Commencement Parking page.