Students applying to Davidson have the option to submit or not submit standardized testing (ACT or SAT) as part of their application.
This test-optional policy speaks to Davidson’s commitment to access and reflects our belief that, while tests provide some useful information, other aspects of an applicant’s academic journey better reflect how they will perform and thrive at the college.
For those students who choose to share SAT or ACT testing, Davidson accepts self-reported test scores, which may be submitted in the following ways:
- Enter scores in the testing section of the Common Application, the Coalition Application, Davidson's Application, or the QuestBridge Application.
- Submit scanned copies of score reports via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Score Reports
We will accept scores reported on a school transcript or sent to our office by a school counselor or CBO advisor as official. Official score reports may be sent to our office by email (email@example.com), fax, mail, or directly from the testing agency. Davidson verifies scores for all enrolling students. Discrepancies between self-reported and official scores may jeopardize a student’s place at the college. Official test scores may be submitted in any of the following ways:
- Sent directly from the testing agency. Our testing codes are 5150 for College Board (SAT) and 3086 for ACT.
- Sent directly by the student's high school counselor via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Sent directly by the student's high school counselor via notation on an official transcript.
Because standardized test results may be used for academic advising as well as for the college's ongoing research into the relationship between standardized testing and student success, all entering first-year students must submit official scores prior to matriculating at Davidson.
Superscoring & Other Testing Considerations
Davidson superscores both the ACT and SAT and does not require or consider the writing portion of either test. If applicants have taken SAT Subject Tests, Davidson welcomes but does not require those scores.
Davidson requires English-language proficiency for applicants for whom English is not their primary language nor the language of instruction at their school. This requirement can be completed via TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or InitialView.
Standardized Testing For Certain Applicants
Home-schooled applicants and candidates applying from non-traditional schools are required to submit either ACT or SAT test results; however, for applicants to the Class of 2025 that requirement will be waived.