We are committed to making a Davidson education affordable. Financial aid packages typically include a combination of grants, scholarships, and student employment. You and your family must apply each year.
We evaluate each need-based financial aid application according to these guiding principles:
- You and your family have the primary responsibility for college costs, to the extent of your ability.
- Financial ability may be determined through assessment of your CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Financial need is the estimated annual cost of attending Davidson minus your family's estimated annual contribution.
- In determining the "number in college" for awarding Davidson's grant funds, only siblings who are seeking their first undergraduate degree will be considered. Siblings in graduate school or who are pursuing an additional undergraduate degree will not be counted as a family member in college.
Complete the required forms listed on the Financial Aid Forms page.
You may also be requested to submit:
- Noncustodial parent PROFILE (if biological or adoptive parents are divorced or separated)
- Business/Farm Supplement (if parents own a business and/or a farm)
- Corporate/partnership tax return (if parents file this type of return)
We receive the CSS/PROFILE and FAFSA data electronically. You do not need to submit copies of these forms to this office.
Additionally, when you file your CSS/PROFILE you will receive an email from the College Board explaining how to submit your tax returns and other forms that may be required.
Financial Aid Forms
A complete list of forms and worksheets is available on the Financial Aid Forms page.
Athletic Grant Renewal
The grant will be renewed automatically if you continue to participate in your sport as required by the Athletic Department.
The Davidson College Athletics Financial Aid Agreement will be sent to you in early summer.
Download the Student Financial Assistance Information for External Study (PDF) to learn how your financial aid package can transfer to your study abroad program.
As a need-based applicant, you must notify the Financial Aid Office of all non-Davidson awards (outside scholarships) you receive. As a rule, outside scholarships will first eliminate the Work-Study expectation and any amount in excess of that will then reduce the amount of Davidson College grant on a dollar-for- dollar basis. The expected family contribution will not change.
Davidson requires all students to have personal health insurance. Students already covered by a family health insurance plan may be exempted from Davidson’s plan by submitting an online waiver verifying coverage. Not all health insurance plans are transferable; you must confirm coverage in Davidson, North Carolina with your current insurance provider. Students not covered by a family health insurance plan will be enrolled in Davidson's Insurance Plan.
The Work-Study award represents approximately 7-8 hours of work per week. Students remaining in their jobs from year to year see an increase in their hourly pay rate. The amount of the Work-Study award will not be deducted from your bill, but will be paid bi-weekly, as work is performed throughout the semester. Not all students will qualify for Work-Study, but there are opportunities for students to work, if they choose to do so, through the Student Employment Office. Learn more about the Work-Study program.
Students receiving federal, state and institutional funding in their financial aid awards must be enrolled on a full-time basis and must attain minimum grade-point average and course completion requirements.
- By February 1: Submit the CSS/Financial Aid Profile and FAFSA.
- By February 15: Submit signed copies of the federal income tax returns (include all forms, schedules and W-2 forms) to the College Board's IDOC service.
- June or July: For on-time applications, financial aid award letters will be mailed in June. Our Business Services Office will issue fall semester electronic bills to students in early July with a due date of August 1. Bills will reflect all fall charges and all fall financial aid awarded. Loans will be reflected only if they have been applied for by early July.
Families who file aid application materials after the published deadlines are subject to a reduction in the college grant portion of the award. This grant reduction will be in the form of a student loan ranging from $4,500-$7,500, depending upon the student's grade level.
Academic or Personal Leave
A student who wishes to take academic or personal leave from Davidson College may do so upon approval from the Registrar or Dean of Students.
We want to make it easy for you to navigate your student accounts to find information on payments, tuition and fees, room and meal rates, credit balances, and more.
Withdrawal & Refunds
Fees apply when a student notifies the Registrar that he/she plans to withdraw from the college. Davidson's policy is to refund 100 percent of tuition or room rent if a student withdraws before the tenth day of classes. Otherwise, no refund of tuition or room rent will be made.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Davidson? We've got answers.