Nomination and Selection Process
Davidson College invites high schools from across the country and abroad to nominate outstanding students with extraordinary potential to compete for the John M. Belk Scholarship.
A candidate’s record and recommendations must demonstrate academic excellence and purposeful engagement in the classroom, in student and civic organizations, on the athletic field, or in the arts. While academic achievement is paramount, Belk Scholars also exhibit intellectual curiosity and a commitment to both their local and global communities.
The Belk Scholarship provides comprehensive funding plus special opportunity stipends that allow you great flexibility in the on- and off-campus experiences you choose to explore. Those experiences, paired with our academic programs, deepen your intellect, maturity and global understanding.
School counselors, principals/heads of school, or college access program directors may nominate one or two candidate(s) from each school.
Our admission staff may also nominate students based on the strength of their application for admission.
Nominate a Student
To make a nomination, complete the online nomination form. Nominations must also include a recommendation letter and transcript.
Dates & Selection Process
- Dec. 1 - Nomination Deadline: Nominations must be made by this date by completing the online nomination form and submitting the required documentation (recommendation letter and transcript) to Admission and Financial Aid.
- Dec. 15 - Admission Application Deadline: Application completion deadline for nominees. View Davidson's application options and learn more about applying to Davidson. Application by this deadline does not indicate a commitment to Early Decision.
- Dec. 20 - Supplemental Materials Deadline: Supporting documents for the nominee will be accepted through this date.
- Mid-February - Semi-finalist interviews
- March - Finalists will participate in interviews and activities designed to provide a richer sense of the Davidson community.
- By April 1 - Up to eight John M. Belk Scholars will be selected.
For questions related to the Belk Scholarship, please contact our scholarships team.