Through the generosity of the Freeman Foundation, Davidson College is providing 20 students a $5,000 grant to participate in internships in Asia for two months in the summer.
The East Asia Internship Program offers students the opportunity to gain real-world experience in the dynamic East and Southeast Asia region.
Eligible internship hosts include businesses, governments, research institutes, non-profit organizations, and other institutions in Brunei, Cambodia, China (including Hong Kong and Macao), East Timor, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
With the assistance of the Betty and B. Frank Matthews II ’49 Center for Career Development (Matthews Center), students can apply and serve as an intern in a wide variety of fields. While the program has various connections developed by the Matthews Center and the East Asian Studies Program, students are encouraged to pursue opportunities identified through independent research. See below for possible internship connections through Davidson alumni and parents. Although students will not receive course credit for successful completion of the internship, they will receive financial support for this summer experience.
- Airfare and transportation expenses
- Housing and utilities
- Food costs
- Funds are meant to cover cost-of-living expenses and are not to be considered wage replacement
- Students will be required to submit a report of their expenses at the end of the program
- Students are responsible for securing their own housing, coordinating their individual travel arrangements, and pursuing proper work authorization for their internship. Some employers may provide assistance with these tasks.
- Nov. 8: Information session at 7:30-8:30 p.m. Alvarez Union Room 209 and via Zoom
- Dec. 6: Application deadline
- Dec. 20: Notification of selected students
- Jan. 24: Deadline for acceptance of award
- Jan. 24–Feb. 21: Work with Matthews Center on researching employers and creating documents for internship applications
- May 1: Deadline for confirming internship placement
Students of all class years and majors are encouraged to apply. Priority is given to students that will be returning to Davidson for the fall 2022 semester (fall 2022 study abroad students are eligible). Students are not eligible for a grant if they intend to receive academic credit for Explorer 099 or an independent study. Applications are open to all students. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are encouraged to apply.
Students submit a written application and resume/CV through Handshake. The written application requires the contact information for one Davidson faculty member to serve as a reference and a short essay.
For more information, contact Raquel Dailey at email@example.com.
Potential Internship Opportunities
Generated through alumni, parents, and faculty networks.
|Arts, Media, Communications & Marketing||
Bridge Magazine - Beijing
|Banking, Finance, Real Estate & Insurance||
Credit Suisse - Tokyo
|Consulting, Management, Sales, & Hospitality||
TE Connectivity - Shanghai
|Manufacturing, Technology & Software||
TÜV SÜD Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. - Singapore
|Public Policy, Politics, Government, International Affairs & Law||
United Education & Investment - Chengdu
Sustainability & Renewable Energy
Woods and Wayside International - Indonesia
|Research, Healthcare, Medicine & Medical Research||
RTI International - Multiple Locations