Sloan Music Center
Sloan Music Center
The Sloan Music Center, formerly known as the Grey College Library and then the Grey College Union, underwent a major transformation and is now home to the Music Department. The centerpiece of the Sloan Music Center is the 200-seat Tyler-Tallman Hall, an acoustically and visually stunning recital hall.
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Students, faculty and staff have card access during Music Library hours.
Administrative Offices, Academic Classrooms, & Performance Venue
The center is home to our faculty, artist associates, adjunct instructors and staff and also includes teaching, rehearsal and performance spaces.
- State of the art electronic music studio
- Recording studio
- Digital music laboratory
- Student lounge with vending areas, lounge chairs, and study tables
- 7 spacious practice rooms, fully soundproofed and equipped with pianos and stands
- Multi-functional classroom/small ensemble rehearsal space
- Studios for applied music studies
- An instrumental rehearsal hall and a large choral rehearsal room/classroom equipped with a New York Steinway "D" offer students the best in ensemble rehearsal spaces
- Tyler-Tallman Hall, with a seating capacity of 200, provides an intimate performance space for student recitals, lectures, and master classes. Available on stage are 2 concert grand pianos, a New York Steinway "D," and a Hamburg Steinway "D," as well as a 1986 Richardson Kingston Double Manual Harpsichord. Davidson College is committed to becoming an all-Steinway school.
- Multi-purpose classroom
- Faculty Offices
- Departmental Assistant Office
- Seminar Room
- Music Library
- Collections of sound recordings, music scores, music reference works, DVDs and videotapes
- Individual and group multimedia stations
- Network computers