Instrumental Audition Information
Formal auditions are required for the Davidson College Symphony Orchestra (DCSO), Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combo.
For all other instrumental ensembles, please contact their director to express your interest. Auditions for DCSO, Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combo, take place during the first week of classes.
Sign-up sheets and additional information will be posted on the board outside of Sloan 200.
Tue., Aug. 27, 3:30–6:30 p.m. jazz rhythm; saxophone
Wed., Aug. 28, 3–7 p.m. jazz and orchestral brass, woodwinds and percussion
Wed., Aug. 28, 7:40–10 p.m. strings
Thur., Aug. 29, 2–5 p.m. strings and harp
Jazz Audition Details
- Prepare 1-2 contrasting pieces of 5 minutes or less that you feel comfortable playing and that accurately reflect your ability. If you decide to only prepare one piece, it should contain both lyrical and more technical material.
- If you improvise, perform a short improvisation on any piece of your choosing. Feel free to bring a backup music track, if needed.
- You will not be asked to play scales or arpeggios. On rare occasions, you may be asked to do a bit of sight-reading.
- If you have questions, please email Bill Lawing at email@example.com.
Orchestra (DCSO) Audition Details
- If you are auditioning for the first time, please prepare one or two pieces (excerpts are acceptable) within your level of comfort that show contrasting styles, lasting no more than five minutes total.
- In addition, please prepare the orchestral excerpts provided. If you have any trouble accessing these materials, or need them provided in a different format, please email Tara Villa Keith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will not be asked to play any scales or do any sight-reading.
- If you are a returning member, please prepare the orchestral excerpts provided below (coming late July).
- If you have questions, please email Tara Villa Keith at email@example.com.