Instrumental Audition Information
Formal auditions are required for the Davidson College Symphony Orchestra (DCSO), Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combo.
For all other instrumental ensembles, please contact their director to express your interest. Auditions for DCSO, Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combo, take place during the first week of classes.
For the 2021-22 season, all students (both new and returning) will be required to audition for the Davidson College Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, and Jazz Combos. These auditions will be as quick and painless as possible. We know it’s been a strange year, so we are simply looking forward to seeing and hearing you play in-person again!
Auditions will take place in Sloan 200:
- Wednesday, August 25, 3:30-8:30 p.m.: saxophone, jazz & orchestral brass, & jazz rhythm
- Thursday, August 26, 7-10 p.m.: woodwinds, orchestral percussion, strings
- Friday, August 27, 4:30-7 p.m.: strings
Sign up for an audition slot, providing your name and instrument in the document. If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Lawing (jazz) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Keith (orchestra) at email@example.com.
Are available for audition preparation and are located in the lower level of Sloan. Hours are 7:00 a.m.–midnight daily. For more info see signs posted on practice room doors.
Jazz Audition Details
- Prepare 1-2 contrasting pieces of 5 minutes or less that you feel comfortable playing and that accurately reflect your ability. If you decide to only prepare one piece, it should contain both lyrical and more technical material.
- If you improvise, perform a short improvisation on any piece of your choosing. Feel free to bring a backup music track, if needed.
- You will not be asked to play scales or arpeggios. On rare occasions, you may be asked to do a bit of sight-reading.
- If you have questions, please email Bill Lawing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orchestra (DCSO) Audition Details
- First-time auditionees must prepare 1 minute’s worth of music that demonstrates their level of comfort and ability.
- First-time AND returning auditionees must prepare 1-3 very brief excerpts from upcoming repertoire, found in this Dropbox folder.
- You will not be asked to play any scales or do any sight-reading.
If you have questions, please email Tara Villa Keith at email@example.com.