Instrumental Audition Information
Formal auditions are required for the Davidson College Symphony Orchestra (DCSO), Jazz Ensemble, and Jazz Combo.
For all other instrumental ensembles, please contact their director to express your interest. Auditions for DCSO, Jazz Ensemble, and Jazz Combo take place during the first week of classes.
All students (both new and returning) will be required to audition for the Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, and Jazz Combos. These auditions will take place in Sloan 200 and will be as quick and painless as possible:
Wednesday, August 31, 4:30-7:15 p.m., Orchestra (winds, percussion, strings)
Thursday, September 1, 4:30-8:50 p.m., Jazz (and anyone interested in both Jazz and Orchestra)
Friday, September 2, 3:30-6:30 p.m., Orchestra (strings only)
Sign up for an audition slot, providing your name and instrument in the document. The document can only be accessed with your davidson.edu account. If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Keith (Orchestra) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Brown (Jazz) at email@example.com.
Are available for audition preparation and are located in the lower level of Sloan. Hours are 7:00 a.m.–midnight daily. For more info see signs posted on practice room doors.
Jazz Audition Details
- Prepare 1-2 contrasting pieces of 5 minutes or less that you feel comfortable playing and that accurately reflect your ability. If you decide to only prepare one piece, it should contain both lyrical and more technical material.
- If you improvise, perform a short improvisation on any piece of your choosing. Feel free to bring a backup music track, if needed.
- You will not be asked to play scales or arpeggios. On rare occasions, you may be asked to do a bit of sight-reading.
- If you have questions, please email Prof. Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orchestra (DCSO) Audition Details
- First-time auditionees must prepare 1 minute’s worth of music that demonstrates their level of comfort and ability.
- First-time AND returning auditionees must prepare 1-3 very brief excerpts from upcoming repertoire, found in this Google Drive folder which can only be accessed with your davidson.edu account..
- You will not be asked to play any scales or do any sight-reading.
If you have questions, please email Tara Villa Keith at email@example.com.