The Biology Department is committed to supporting student research, and to encouraging our students to present their work at scientific meetings and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
One of the ways we do this is through the Biology Department Thesis Program, which is designed to promote, develop, and recognize individual excellence through directed independent research. Thesis students meeting additional requirements may be awarded Honors or High Honors in Biology.
- A written thesis proposal describing a specific research project in the biological sciences and candidate's qualifications
- Presentation of a short public thesis preview presentation as part of a Biology Department seminar along with other thesis students
- Completion of an original, hands-on research project in the biological sciences
- A written thesis describing the completed research project and results
- A public seminar describing the research project and results
Honors in Biology Requirements
- One additional biology course beyond those already fulfilling biology major requirements
- A final GPA at graduation of greater than or equal to 3.2
High Honors in Biology Requirements
- Successful achievement of Honors
- A final GPA at graduation of greater than or equal to 3.6
- Nomination for high honors by mentor and vote by biology faculty