Student Organizations and Events
Delta Phi Alpha
The German Studies Department maintains a chapter of Delta Phi Alpha.
Delta Phi Alpha is a nationally organized honor society that recognizes achievement in German and seeks to promote greater understanding of German life, culture, and language. As the constitution states: "The spirit of German classicism forms a special bond between us. The tolerance of Lessing, the folk-sympathy of Herder, the idealism of Schiller, and the noble humanity of Goethe we treasure among the great constructive forces in the history of mankind."
Awarded a charter in 1930, Davidson College is the fifth oldest chapter in the country.
A list of useful organizations and resources for students studying German.
- American Association of Teachers of German
- American Association of Teachers of German - North Carolina
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Foreign Language Association of North Carolina
- German Academic Exchange Service
- German Studies Association
- Goethe Society of North America
- Modern Language Association
- Southern Conference on Language Teaching
Bremer German Scholarship
The Bremer German Scholarship, established through the generosity of C. Christopher Bremer, M.D. '60, recognizes excellence in German Studies. Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors majoring in German are eligible.