We strongly encourage students to participate in a domestic immersion program or study abroad in a Russian-speaking country in order to achieve advanced proficiency.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Russia’s war against Ukraine, Davidson is no longer sending students to the Russian Federation for study abroad. Students may currently opt for domestic summer immersion programs or study abroad with SRAS in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
Below you'll find recommended programs for Davidson students seeking summer, semester, academic year or post-graduation programs. Given U.S. strategic interest in Russia and Eurasia, several funded opportunities (CLS, Boren, Fulbright, and Peace Corps) complement the more traditional study-abroad offerings.
- Critical Language Scholarships (summer only)
- Middlebury Summer Russian School (summer only)
- SRAS in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (summer, semester, or academic year)
- NSEP/Boren Scholarships and Fellowships (to fund study abroad or post-graduation research)
- Fulbright ETA awards to Central Asia (post-graduation)
- Peace Corps in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (post-graduation)
Please contact Prof. Amanda Ewington at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss possibilities for study in Russia and departmental credit toward the minor or CIS majors. Students planning to study abroad should then make an appointment with the Office of Education Abroad to learn about important internal Davidson deadlines and procedures.