Students who have completed up to Spanish 2 must register in SPA 101 and do not need to take the Spanish Placement Exam. Students who have taken Spanish 3 or higher, must take the placement exam.
Students wishing to continue their studies of the Spanish language and Hispanic Studies, who do not have a qualifying AP or IB exam score, must take our online placement exam; see below guidelines if you took the AP or IB Spanish exam(s).
Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the Spanish Placement Test
- Testcode: 10437-pl-sp-1
- Password: 4727
- Once reviewed, your class placement will be posted on Moodle.
- Once your exam is submitted, the test will take roughly three to five business days to be graded. Find your placement by locating the last four digits of your student ID.
Placement testing will re-open October 2, and close October 28. Results are good for 1 year, so if you took the placement test earlier in the summer you do not need to retake it. If you did not take the placement test this summer, take it now for fall add/drop or spring registration. Should you have any questions about placement, please email the lower-division Language Coordinator, Mr. Brandon Cannon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you already have your AP/IB test scores:
- If you have a reported score of 4 or 5 in the AP Language and Culture and/or Literature, the language requirement is satisfied and there is no need to take the Placement Test.
- If you took the Spanish AP Language and Culture Exam and scored a 4 or 5 and wish to continue with your studies of the Spanish language and Hispanic Studies, you should enroll directly in SPA 260.
- If you took the Spanish AP Literature Exam and scored a 4 or 5 and wish to continue your studies of the Spanish language and Hispanic Studies, you should enroll directly in SPA 271. In addition, during the first week of class, schedule a meeting with the chair of the Hispanic Studies Department to determine if SPA 271 best suits your needs.
- If you took the Spanish IB Exam and scored a 6 or 7 and wish to continue with your studies of the Spanish language and Hispanic Studies, you should enroll directly in SPA 260. In addition, during the first week of class, schedule a meeting with the chair of the Hispanic Studies Department to determine if SPA 260 best suits your needs.
For incoming first-year students, if you do not yet have your AP /IB Test Scores, please:
- Take the Spanish placement test. When prompted to do so on the placement test, please estimate your AP (or IB) score.
- Within two weeks of taking the Spanish Placement exam, review your results online. The link is on the Spanish Placement Exam Moodle page.
- Please be advised that you may need to make schedule adjustments if your actual AP or IB test score differs from your estimated score. If this occurs, please email Hispanic Studies Department Chair, Dr. Kyra Kietrys at email@example.com.