Major and Minor
Educational Studies Major and Minor at Davidson
Our department prepares you to:
- Understand and apply multiple and conflicting perspectives on education and schooling;
- Understand how historical events, social forces, and moral principles related to democratic institutions can inform and direct schooling practice, leadership, and governance;
- Understand the full significance of diversity in a democratic society and how that bears on curriculum and instruction, school and community leadership, and state and national governance;
- Analyze critically both historical and current educational policies and practices at national, state, and local levels, and their impacts on teaching, learning, and the assessment of P-16 students.
- Prepare students who plan to enter graduate school in various education-related fields, such as school psychology, speech pathology, educational policy, education law, etc.
- Fulfill the needs of students who are interested in the academic study of educational history, sociology, psychology, theory, and policy.
Educational Studies Interdisciplinary Major
An educational studies major is available through the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies.
Educational Studies Minor
The minor, offered by our department, can also fulfill your interest in the academic study of educational history, sociology, psychology, theory, and policy. The minor requires students to complete six courses that include courses from our four epistemological pillars:
- Historical & Philosophical Foundations
- Learning and Development
- Social & Cultural
- Education Policy
A capstone course synthesizing the completed minor courses is also required. Please visit the degree requirements link for more detailed information.
Fellowships are competitive awards and programs that provide funding and other resources for meaningful immersive work, like research, teaching, or service. Like scholarships, fellowships can also support academic study.
These featured fellowships support teaching and graduate study in and outside of the U.S. Interested candidates should contact Davidson’s Fellowships & Scholarships Program to learn more about these fellowships and other programs.
Related Academic Programs
Interested in Educational Studies at Davidson?
Request Admission Info
Learn whether studying this program at Davidson is the right fit for you.
Connect with Davidson both in-person and virtually to give you a sense of all that Davidson offers.
Find out how to apply, dates and deadlines, and what you'll need to start your journey as a Davidson Wildcat.