The French & Francophone Studies Department sponsors both semester and yearlong options for students to study at the Université François Rabelais and/or at the Institut deTouraine in Tours, France.
Davidson College in France
Situated one hour from Paris by train, Tours, France is the cultural capital of the Loire Valley and a designated World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Classes vary with ability. All students will:
- Spend time in Paris with the program
- Travel with the program
- Be tested for proficiency, and assigned to appropriate level classes at the Institut deTouraine
- Receive college credit at Davidson for their courses
- Return with a higher degree of proficiency in the language and a measurable degree of personal growth
More advanced students may also take courses at the Université François Rabelais.
Choose Your Term
Students may apply to a year, fall semester, or spring semester, program. The general terms of each program are listed below, but please note that travel locations, classes, and dates vary each term, so it's important to check with the Education Abroad website for specifics.
- The academic-year program offers intensive language course in Paris in September at the Alliance Française
- Students begin their studies in Tours at the Université François Rabelais and/or at the Institut deTouraine. (Students often take fall courses at the Institut and add university courses in the spring.)
- Spring trip to a Francophone country. The academic year program typically ends by late May.
Fall Semester Program
- The fall semester program includes an intensive language course at the Alliance Française in Paris during September
- October to mid-December, language and Davidson program courses at the Institut de Touraine
- Advanced students may be able to take courses at the Université François Rabelais in disciplines such as history, literature, philosophy, and the social sciences
Spring Semester Program
- Students go directly to Tours in early January. Most students take classes at the Institut de Touraine until the end of March, then participate in a cultural program in Paris and/or another destination led by the resident director
- The Davidson program ends in late April
- Advanced students who may have enrolled in courses at the Université François Rabelais remain in Tours until the end of the university semester in late May
For All Programs
Housing and Meals
In Paris, students live in a student residence, where they also take their meals. In Tours, students are housed with families, who provide breakfast and dinner. The program provides an allowance for lunch.
Both the Institut de Touraine and the Davidson in France program offer weekend and day excursions to sites of interest, at no additional cost.
A member of the Davidson College French & Francophone Studies Department serves as resident director and teaches a course in the fall and spring semesters.
- Sophomore class status by July 1
- Complete the equivalent of three semesters of college French
- Cumulative average of at least B at Davidson
French and Francophone Studies strongly encourages majors to study abroad, and the college has a multitude of program options on five continents. Visit the study abroad page for additional information and programs.