Creative Scholarly and Writing Competitions
The English Department welcomes students to submit their work for a chance to earn a creative or scholarly writing award. Submissions for all competitions are now open to all Davidson students.
R. Windley Hall Writing Award
For excellence in creative or scholarly writing; submit work in either category (but not both). Open only to first-year students.
The Charles E. Lloyd Writing Award
For excellence in nonfiction prose, whether creative or scholarly; submit work in either category (but not both). Open only to sophomores, juniors or seniors with class standing.
Vereen Bell Memorial Award in Creative Writing
For excellence in creative writing. Multiple genres may be submitted within a single entry, so long as the page count does not exceed ten pages. Open only to sophomores, juniors or seniors with class standing.
Gibson Prize for Scholarly Writing
Awarded to the best scholarly essay written by a Davidson student in any discipline in 2019-2020. The total page count may not exceed eight. If excerpted, say so.
How To Submit Your Work
- All work must be double-spaced, and sent via email (as a Word document attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your class year.
- Work may be submitted to only one creative writing award (fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry).
- An additional entry may be submitted to the Gibson scholarship prize.
- All contests will be judged by eminent writers and scholars in the field.
- Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 5 p.m.
- $100 First Place
- $50 Second Place
- $25 Third Place