How To Apply
Self-instructional language courses are listed in the class schedule under the heading Self-Instructional Languages (SIL).
You will not find them listed by language. Please note that the groups have a very limited enrollment, so give your request the priority it deserves when preparing your WebTree.
If you are a second, third, or fourth-year student and have fulfilled the language requirement, you may request permission to register for a SIL course by following these steps:
- Read the description of the SIL program in the college catalog. This should give you a general idea of whether SIL is a good match for you.
- Read the Student Study Guide (PDF). You may also obtain a hard copy from the SIL program chair. This longer description explains how SIL courses differ from traditional classroom language courses, and outlines expectations to prospective students. It also answers questions concerning methods, materials, and evaluation procedures used in SIL courses.
- Complete the online application form, being sure to include the name of a Davidson language faculty member who will be contacted for a faculty recommendation. Be sure to answer questions as completely as possible.
- Attend one of the informational sessions scheduled during the course selection period prior to the semester in which you plan to take the course.
As you create your schedule for the upcoming semester, please remember the following:
- SIL courses are permission courses. Do not enter SIL on your WebTree until you have received permission from the SIL director to do so.
- SIL enrollments are limited in most cases to five students per group, so you will need to place the course on your WebTree according to the importance you give it.
- Obtaining permission to register does not guarantee you a place in the course. Permission will be granted to all well-qualified students.
- Faculty members need time to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Please submit your application in sufficient time to allow the letter of recommendation to arrive before the end of the course selection period.
For further information please email Prof. Florin Beschea, director of self-instructional languages, at email@example.com or call 704-894-2923, or email Anne-Marie Craig at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-894-3067.