The Africana Studies Department requires 10 courses for the completion of the major (for a complete list of requirements and courses for the major please visit the College Catalog).
We highly recommend that students begin their study with AFR 101.
Students must successfully complete the following major curriculum.
- Gateway Course: AFR 101 - Introduction to Africana Studies
- One course: Methods Courses category
- Two courses: Cultural Production and Expression category
- Two courses: Historical and Geographical Investigations category
- Two courses: Social Thought and Institutions category
- One Intellectual History Course: AFR 300-309 - Major Thinkers in Africana Studies
- Senior Capstone: AFR 495 - Senior Capstone in Africana Studies
- At least six of the required courses for the major must be taken in the Africana Studies Department at Davidson College.
- At least two courses in two different geographic regions (North America, Africa, Latin America & the Caribbean) must be completed. See course descriptions for geographic region.
- Courses for the major may also be considered from Davidson-run and approved study abroad programs (i.e., Davidson in Ghana, etc.)
- For double majors, no more than two of the same AFR-designated or approved cross-listed courses may count towards the Africana Studies major.