New International Students
We are so pleased that you will be joining us and look forward to welcoming you into the Davidson community.
International Student Programs is here to help you navigate regulatory requirements, and to serve as a resource as you set up life in North Carolina. We are ready to assist you as you make your preparations to join the Davidson community.
Timing and details for Fall 2023 arrival and pre-orientation are subject to change based on developments in the COVID-19 pandemic and other potential factors.
- New International Student Arrival Day: Monday, August 21 by 4:30 p.m.
- International Pre-Orientation: Tuesday-Wednesday, August 22-23
International Student Programs (ISP) coordinates a pre-orientation program designed to meet the unique needs of incoming international students. The pre-orientation program is designed to deliver important content, prepare the incoming class for the academic experience ahead of them, and introduce them to the Davidson community—all during the days prior to the start of fall semester. This international pre-orientation is required for F-1 and J-1 visa-holders.
During pre-orientation, you can:
- Meet and get to know the staff of International Student Programs.
- Be the first to meet and get to know both current and incoming international peers. International pre-orientation is a great time to develop friendships and find a sense of community as you get settled in the United States.
- Take care of practical matters, such as opening a bank account, purchasing a cell phone, submit paperwork to begin working on campus, etc.
- Receive information about Government Regulations and how to stay in legal immigration status as an F-1 International student.
- Learn more about coursework and classes at Davidson.
- Discuss aspects of U.S. culture. with current Davidson International students
As you prepare to come to Davidson, please consider the following:
Admission and Financial Aid
- Final transcript and confirmation of graduation (due mid-July)
- For those who selected to have their testing (ACT or SAT) considered as part of their application, official test scores sent to us by the testing agency or official high school counselor (due late-July)
Apply for a U.S. Visa (if applicable)
- If you are in need of a visa in order to study at Davidson you will need to apply for an F-1 student visa.
- Davidson College’s International Student Programs will send you a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status” in April (for early decision admits) or May (for regular decision admits).
- You will use the Form I-20 to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee, complete the DS-160 visa application form, and schedule a visa appointment at a U.S. Consulate. U.S. consulates can be very busy, especially in the months preceding the start of fall semester. Make your arrangements quickly and be well-prepared for your visa interview. Please note that Canadian citizens do not need to get an F-1 visa, but they are required to pay the SEVIS fee and use the I-20 to enter the U.S. in order to acquire the legal F-1 status.
- Watch for email correspondence from the Residence Life Office (RLO) in May—they will ask you for your housing preferences and to take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).
- RLO will then assign you to a room on campus and to a roommate in July.
Make Travel Arrangements
- The primary move-in date for newly admitted international students is Monday, August 21. Travel restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine arrangements may develop leading up to Fall arrival.
- Make plans to arrive to campus during RLO business hours (9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Davidson is approximately 30 minutes from the Charlotte airport, so we recommend you to schedule your flight arrival with enough time to arrive to the College and check in before the close of the business day.
Register for Classes
- In early May, familiarize yourself with Davidson's programs and requirements.
- The Registrar's Office can assist you with academic information, tools, resources, academic advising and answers to your questions.
- Submit your class preferences via WebTree (June 1 - June 30).
- Your online course registration must be completed by June 30.
Sign Up for a Host Family
Complete a Host Family Request form in late spring.
Attend an ISP Pre-Departure Orientation
- New students and parents are invited to attend a virtual pre-departure orientation and access a library of videos to support students in traveling to the United States and setting up life in North Carolina.
- Your bill for the fall semester will be emailed to your Davidson email account in mid-July.
- Payment in full is due unless you are opting for the monthly payment plan. Either way, arrangements should be made in advance. Contact Business Services for questions or assistance.
Prepare for New Student Orientation
- New Student Orientation follows International Pre-Orientation as a way to connect with the whole incoming class and prepare for your first semester.
- Read the common book for orientation, which will be sent to you by ISP.
- If your contact information has changed: log into your account, access the Student Information Form under the Student tab and make all necessary updates.
Obtain Your Immunization Records
- Complete and submit your medical history and health forms to the Center for Student Health and Well-Being by June 30.
Consider Health Insurance
- Review the Davidson health insurance policy (which you are automatically enrolled in).
- If you already have U.S. insurance coverage, instructions for waiving the Davidson insurance can be found on your tuition bill.
- If you are an athlete (in a fall sport), talk to your coach now about insurance.