New International Students
We are so pleased that you will be joining us and look forward to personally welcoming you to campus in August.
We understand that you will have many questions about coming to Davidson and we are here to help! Please don't hesitate to email our International Student Advisor, Susan Hatchett, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns you would like to discuss. We have many resources to assist you as you make your preparations for joining the Davidson community. Please visit our website periodically for updates and details specifically for new students.
The International Student Office coordinates a pre-orientation program designed to meet the unique needs of incoming international students. If you are a U.S./dual citizen living outside of the United States, or a non-U.S. citizen, you are invited to participate in the pre-orientation. 2019 dates to come.
During pre-orientation, you can:
- Meet and get to know the staff of the International Student Office.
- Be the first to meet and get to know both current and incoming international peers. International pre-orientation is a great time to develop friendships and a find sense of community as you get settled in the United States.
- Take care of practical matters, such as opening a bank account, purchasing a cell phone, applying for a Social Security Number, etc.
- Receive information about U.S. visas and how to stay in legal immigration status.
- Learn more about coursework and classes at Davidson.
- Have your questions answered about US culture.
International Parent & Family Pre-Orientation
International parent and family pre-orientation is designed to empower parents and family members with information to support students through their transition to college. Parents, siblings, and other family members are invited to participate in the program. 2019 dates to come. Please contact Susan Hatchett at email@example.com for more information.
As you prepare to come to Davidson, below are some things to consider.
Admission and Financial Aid
- Have your final transcript sent to Davidson by July 15
- Return your Financial Aid agreement (with work-study employment preferences) if applicable
Apply for a U.S. Visa (if applicable)
- If you are in need of a visa in order to study at Davidson you will need to apply for an F-1 student visa.
- Davidson College’s International Student Programs will send you a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status” in April or May (depending on whether you are an early decision or regular decision admit to Davidson).
- You will use the Form I-20 to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee, complete the DS-160 visa application form, and schedule a visa appointment at the U.S. Consulate. U.S. consulates are very busy, especially in the months preceding the start of fall semester. Make your arrangements quickly and be well-prepared for your visa interview. Please note that Canadian citizens do not need to get an F-1 visa, but they are required to pay the SEVIS fee and use the I-20 to enter the U.S. in order to acquire the legal F-1 status.
- Watch for email correspondence from the Residence Life Office in May—they will ask you for your housing preferences and to take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
- Residence Life will then assign you to a room on campus and to a roommate in July
Make Travel Arrangements
- Mandatory International Student Orientation activities begin first thing on Monday, August 19. Orientation is mandatory so you must plan on arriving at Davidson BEFORE August 19.
- On-campus housing will open to new international students on Sunday, August 18. In the evening of Sunday, August 18, International Student Programs will host an informal social event for students and families. Other than the evening social, there will be no organized pre-orientation activities scheduled for Sunday, August 18.
- Your I-20 and F-1 visa will allow you to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20 (which will be the start of orientation, August 18, 2019
Register for Classes
- In early May, familiarize yourself with Davidson's programs and requirements
- The Registrar's Office can assist you with academic information, tools, resources, academic advising and answers to your questions
- Submit your class preferences via WebTree June 1-29
- Your online course registration must be completed by June 29
Sign Up for a Host Family
Complete Host Family Request form by June 1
- Your bill for the fall semester will be emailed to your Davidson email account in mid-July
- Payment in full is due by Aug. 1, unless you are opting for the monthly payment plan
Contact the Dean of Students
- If your contact information has changed: log into your account, access the Student Information Form under the Student tab and make all necessary updates
- Read the common book for orientation
Obtain Your Immunization Records
- Return your medical history and physical exam form to the Center for Student Health and Well-Being by June 30.
Consider Health Insurance
- Review the Davidson policy (which you are automatically enrolled in).
- If you already have U.S. insurance coverage, instructions for waiving the Davidson insurance can be found on your tuition bill
- If you are an athlete (in a fall sport), talk to your coach now about insurance