New International Students
We are so pleased that you will be joining us and look forward to welcoming you into the Davidson community.
We understand that you will have many questions about this unprecedented academic year and the Davidson College experience. Our staff is here to help you navigate regulatory and other requirements, and to serve as a resource. Please don't hesitate to email our Director of International Student Programs, Thomas Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns you would like to discuss. We are ready to assist you as you make your preparations to join the Davidson community.
International Student Programs (ISP) coordinates a pre-orientation program designed to meet the unique needs of incoming international students. For fall 2020, ISP will offer the international pre-orientation program online during the weeks preceding the start of fall semester. The pre-orientation program has been designed to deliver important content, prepare the incoming class for the academic experience ahead of them, and introduce them to the Davidson community—all during the weeks prior to the start of fall semester.
During pre-orientation, you can:
- Meet and get to know the staff of International Student Programs.
- Be the first to meet and get to know both current and incoming international peers. International pre-orientation is a great time to develop friendships and find a sense of community as you get settled in the United States.
- Take care of practical matters, such as opening a bank account, purchasing a cell phone, applying for a Social Security Number, etc.
- Receive information about U.S. visas and how to stay in legal immigration status.
- Learn more about coursework and classes at Davidson.
- Have your questions answered about U.S. culture.
As you prepare to come to Davidson, please consider the following:
Admission and Financial Aid
- Have your final transcript sent to Davidson.
- Return your Financial Aid agreement (with work-study employment preferences), if applicable.
Apply for a U.S. Visa (if applicable)
- If you are in need of a visa in order to study at Davidson you will need to apply for an F-1 student visa.
- Davidson College’s International Student Programs will send you a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status” in April or May (depending on whether you are an early decision or regular decision admit to Davidson).
- You will use the Form I-20 to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee, complete the DS-160 visa application form, and schedule a visa appointment at the U.S. Consulate. U.S. consulates are very busy, especially in the months preceding the start of fall semester. Make your arrangements quickly and be well-prepared for your visa interview. Please note that Canadian citizens do not need to get an F-1 visa, but they are required to pay the SEVIS fee and use the I-20 to enter the U.S. in order to acquire the legal F-1 status.
- Watch for email correspondence from the Residence Life Office in May—they will ask you for your housing preferences and to take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).
- Residence Life will then assign you to a room on campus and to a roommate in July.
Make Travel Arrangements
- The primary move-in date for newly admitted international students will be Wednesday, August 12, 2020. Keep in mind that students who are travelling from outside the U.S. must quarantine before coming to campus.
Register for Classes
- In early May, familiarize yourself with Davidson's programs and requirements.
- The Registrar's Office can assist you with academic information, tools, resources, academic advising and answers to your questions.
- Submit your class preferences via WebTree (June 1 - June 30).
- Your online course registration must be completed by June 30.
Sign Up for a Host Family
Complete a Host Family Request form (Host Family sign-ups will be open to incoming students in late spring).
- Your bill for the fall semester will be emailed to your Davidson email account in mid-July.
- Payment in full is due, unless you are opting for the monthly payment plan.
Contact the Dean of Students
- If your contact information has changed: log into your account, access the Student Information Form under the Student tab and make all necessary updates.
- Read the common book for orientation.
Obtain Your Immunization Records
- Return your medical history and physical exam form to the Center for Student Health and Well-Being by June 30.
Consider Health Insurance
- Review the Davidson health insurance policy (which you are automatically enrolled in).
- If you already have U.S. insurance coverage, instructions for waiving the Davidson insurance can be found on your tuition bill.
- If you are an athlete (in a fall sport), talk to your coach now about insurance.